Auto-Numbers and using them to seach in smartsheet and pull up rows

Options
Bridey Watson
edited 07/13/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi All,

Is there some nuance I'm missing with using auto-numbers to search in smartsheet?

I have a sheet with an auto-numbers column, and a form that's inputting data. Currently using auto-numbers in search isn't pulling up any results even though the ref used for the search is there in the sheet. This is the reference used SL100002 so no symbols that could potentially cause issues.

I'm looking for the most streamline way for rows to be pulled up using a search for the reference number by a team members using the smartsheet app on their phones, so that an additional box can be checked to complete a process by our internal team. We're estimating 50,000 as an approximate for total form submissions/rows, so there will be at least three sheets in total.

I have been also been looking at the use of QR codes for this process but haven't as yet found an effective method of auto-adding to each row and being able to do this on the scale needed.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Bridey

Tags:

Answers

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Bridey Watson

Don't use the search at the top-right. I hate that thing. I'm not exactly sure what it's purpose truly is but it's caused problems in our organization as well when someone is using that and expecting usable results.

Use CTRL-F instead

Additionally, you could create a shared filter to search with. However, that will require the person to be a licensed SmartSheet user (and an Editor or Admin to the sheet, not sure which) so that they can change the auto-number the filter is searching for.

• Bridey Watson
    edited 07/14/22
    Options

Thanks Mike, yes it seems truly random as to whether it finds stuff and then as to whether it actually takes you to the row when something is found.

Do you know if the barcode or QR scanning option via the ss app would be an alternative means for pulling up rows? I have read somewhere that by using bridge a barcode or QR code can be auto added to each row. Is this something you've had any experience of using?

This sheet is for a log of people that have completed an online induction and will be used by teams on busy gates for an event, so the find and replace option with everyone as an Admin isn't viable, and a streamline process is a must.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Bridey Watson

Sorry but I do not have any experience with barcodes or QR codes in SmartSheet. The CTRL-F doesn't require Admin access. Changing what a filter is searching for requires a licensed user with Editor privileges I believe but could be Admin to change shared filter parameters.