Creating a list of text entries without duplicates

Options

Hello!

We have a large "master tracker" sheet where we house all the information about each of our units, one piece of which is a "neighborhood" designation, which basically tells us where on each of our properties the unit is located. Typically, there are somewhere between 6 and 20 units in each neighborhood, and every property has 3-4 neighborhoods. I'm trying to create a reference list of each of these neighborhood names, ideally in a format that doesn't require manual entry of newly added neighborhoods when more are added to our master tracking sheet, but I'm not sure how to pull that information into a list without duplicates, i.e. I want the list to include only one entry for each name. 

Thanks!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Emma Picardi

I hope you're well and safe!

Have you explored using a Report?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Emma Picardi
    Options

Hey Andrée, unfortunately a report doesn't do the job since it still pulls in ALL the entries in the sheet rather than a single instance of each neighborhood name. This is the report that I put together a while ago that sort of does the job as long as you keep all the groups collapsed, but ideally we'd like to have a sheet with the individual neighborhood names each in their own row.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In the second sheet you would use something along these lines:

=INDEX(DISTINCT({Source Sheet Neighborhood Column}), 1)

The above would pull the first unique entry. Changing that to a 2 will pull the second, so on and so forth.

You can wrap it in an IFERROR to output a blank and prefill enough rows in the second sheet to cover as many as you think you would need.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!