So I want to populate Duration from another cell on the same sheet.

Options

I get that Duration is auto-calculated from the start and end dates, AND that I can manually enter a duration to adjust the start and end dates. HOWEVER, I have already calculated the number of days that a task will take. So I want to have that number AUTOMATICALLY appear in the Duration column, OR have the End Date automatically calculate based on my task days.

How can I accomplish this? As is stands now, I have to manually enter the days into the Duration column. No bueno.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Rob DeVargas

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Rob DeVargas
    Options

I calculate WDays and I need that value to be used as the duration OR to somehow change the End Date.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Rob DeVargas

The Project columns already use a sort of built-in formula to be able to auto-adjust based on the information manually entered, as you described. Because of this, these columns cannot have a formula applied to bring in data from other columns.

See: Areas where formula use is restricted

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Rob DeVargas
    Options

So this is a HUGE issue, then, for us. It seems that the whole start date, end date, and duration is a closed loop that only allows MANUALLY entered data from the outside. This is not practical since we automatically determine duration lengths of hundreds of project items based upon a series of human resource and project variables.

There has to be some way to allow my duration calculation to be use to determine the end date of the project item, OR some way to allow me to calculate the end date myself. Of course all of this would need to be seen on the Gantt view as well. (I realize that I can calc an end date myself, but it wouldn't be seen on the Gannt view).