How can I get scatter charts to work on Dashboards?

I have numerical data in two columns on a report and I would like one column to be the x values and the other the y values on a scatter chart. There is a scatter chart option in the Chart Widget, but it only plots the x axis as a category axis, not a numerical axis. That defeats the purpose of the plot.

Of course I can make a scatter chart in Excel using the same data and then copy and paste that as an image, but is there a more elegant option? I would have to redo the scatter chart in Excel periodically because it doesn't update, as a Smartsheet chart would.

Answers

• che.rabajante
    che.rabajante ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @mdemul

There's a toggle button to switch on or off column names as category labels

• mdemul
    mdemul ✭✭✭✭

Thank you, but those options are switched off already.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @mdemul

If you're wanting one of your columns to be the X-Axis, then you actually will need to select the middle option that says "use first column as series labels". Then under the Horizontal Axis tab, you can "render the axis as numeric".

Cheers,

Genevieve

• mdemul
    mdemul ✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P.

Thank you, I finally got it to work. It was not very intuitive. It doesn't help that the "Render the axis as numeric" option is not visible unless "use first column as series labels" is checked.

Now I only need to find out how to rescale the x-axis.

Regards,

Marc

• I have a similar, but slightly different scatterplot question. I have numerical data in one column (total score) and a single select in another columns (Level of Effort) that I would like to show on a scatter plot. I've managed to create the scatter plot below, but am stuck on the following items:

1) how do i make labels show up for my dots, tied to another column in my source data? Both as (1) hover over pop ups and (2) on the chart next to the dot. At present i'm just seeing the x and y values when i hover over the dot.

2) My x-axis is showing the same single select value over and over. How do i get it to roll up into one x-axis label per single select value (e.g. 1 - Low, 2 - Medium, 3 - High shown one time each)?

3)How can i have my x-axis labeled 1-Low, 2-Medium, 3-High (left to right), not 3-High, 2-Medium, 1-Low?

Additionally, i don't believe the following things are possible in SmartSheet, please correct me if i'm wrong:

a) having different size dots based on total score, for example.

b) having different color dots, based on a single select value from the data source.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @KimL

I saw this posted as a new discussion and answered you on the other post, here:

Cheers,

Genevieve