Critical Path Not Updating After Task Completion

Options

So, critical path is driving me crazy. All tasks have a dependency, and I do see a critical path (although it does not match what I think it should be).

However, when I mark a task in the displayed critical path as "complete" the critical path is not updating, and that completed item is still on the critical path.

What is going on with this? Is there a known issue with this feature?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    edited 08/02/22 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @MMARRS

The critical path in Smartsheet doesn't update based on the "status" of a task, as you've found. The path is determined based on the last end date that has a predecessor, and worked backwards from there (regardless of if the date is in the past or if the task is complete).

Here's the documentation on Smartsheet's critical path: Track the Critical Path in a Project

If you only want to see rows that are on the critical path that have not been completed, you can use a Filter in your sheet to filter out all Completed tasks. See: Create a Filter to Show or Hide Data

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    edited 08/02/22 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @MMARRS

The critical path in Smartsheet doesn't update based on the "status" of a task, as you've found. The path is determined based on the last end date that has a predecessor, and worked backwards from there (regardless of if the date is in the past or if the task is complete).

Here's the documentation on Smartsheet's critical path: Track the Critical Path in a Project

If you only want to see rows that are on the critical path that have not been completed, you can use a Filter in your sheet to filter out all Completed tasks. See: Create a Filter to Show or Hide Data

Cheers,

Genevieve