Can you skip a row and still use Column formulas?

Options
Indira Buike
Indira Buike ✭✭
edited 11/21/22 in Formulas and Functions

Hi! I've got this sheet where all columns use the same formula except for the first row which is a kind of "header" and is a text row, if a use column formulas that text is erased, I was wondering if there's a way to use column formula and skip that row. The formula I'm using is =SUM(CHILDREN()) but every time a create a new parent row the formula disappears.

Maybe the formula needs to include from which row to which row it applies to, I'm not sure.

Thank you for the help.

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/29/22
    Options

Hi @Indira Buike

I hope you're well and safe!

You can add another part to the formula, so it first checks if it's that row with the header, and if it is, it will show the header's name.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Indira Buike
    Options

Hi Andrée,

I'm sorry for the late reply, but no it doesn't really make sense, can you perhaps show me?

• BSS
    BSS ✭✭
    edited 10/04/22
    Options

@Andrée Starå How to check if it's that row with the header if the formula has to be in that row for it to be a column formula?

• Jackie M
    Options

I am also looking for a way to skip the first row using a column formula, in my case, using =[Column6]@row - INDEX([Column6]:[Column6], [Entry Number]@row - 1) - this formula will not work in row 1 I am assuming because there is no value to calculate with so I was thinking if there is a way to possibly wrap my formula in an IF statement to exclude row =1

Thank You,

Jackie

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!