Alerts Not Working

Hi,

We have created an Assigned To field (Contact List property) and set up a workflow to alert the person in the assigned to field when rows are added. The alerts are not working though when we submit a test request. Is there something that we should be doing differently?

Thanks,

Ara

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @aadami

I hope you're well and safe!

Ensure that you've checked the Sheet Change Notification Settings box to Include my changes in sheet notifications in your Personal Settings (circle/profile in the lower-left corner).

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• aadami
    aadami ✭✭✭

Hi Andree! Thank you for the follow up! Yes, that is checked in my personal settings. The alerts work on other sheets but not for some reason the one that I am currently working on. What other possibilities could it be?

What I did not mention in my previous post was that the fields under the assigned to column have a formula that derive the name of the person that should be assigned. For example, the formula is an "if, then statement". The name of each person has an email address assigned to it. I think having a formula in the cell is somehow impacting the workflow that we designed (preventing the assigned person from receiving any alerts). Please let me know your thoughts! Thank you!

• Ella
    Ella ✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/03/22

@aadami Have you checked the automation permissions in the sheet as they most likely are set to restricted?

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2476586-control-who-is-notified-about-alerts-and-requests

• aadami
    aadami ✭✭✭

Yes, I set it to "Unrestricted" and it still didn't work :(

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@aadami

Happy to help!

Before troubleshooting with other steps, try and make a copy of the Workflow to see if that works or not.

Did it work?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• aadami
    aadami ✭✭✭

Hi Andree - it doesn't work.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@aadami

I'd be happy to take a quick look.

Can you maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s)? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

• aadami
    aadami ✭✭✭

Thank you Andree, I will share the sheet and send you an email. Thank you!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@aadami

You're more than welcome!

I've had a look at the sheet.

You'll have to structure it one of these ways.

• Like you have it now with a formula, but you'd have to either include the email as my example below or reference the name from another column (in the same sheet or another using Cross-Sheet Formulas) where the contact is.
    • Add the different options in a Workflow instead and select the different contacts there instead.

Formula (removed the contact details in the email addresses)

=IF(Department@row = "Talent Attraction Operations", "r@bakertilly.com", IF(Department@row = "Talent Attraction", "r@bakertilly.com", IF(Department@row = "Resource Management", "a@bakertilly.com", IF(Department@row = "Talent Management", "a@bakertilly.com", IF(Department@row = "Development & Success", "r@bakertilly.com")))))

Did that work?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!