Link "Notes" to multiple rows across multiple sheets

I was hoping someone may have an idea here.

Currently when we enter jobs into out sheets, they come into an intake sheet from our sales team.

One order may have multiple product types on the row when entered.

We then copy and paste that row multiple times essentially breaking the one job into multiple rows according to product type.

Once the job is coordinated and ready, the coordinator clicks "send to tech" on all of the rows for that job and the rows split up going to different sheets according to their product type, so the one "Job" has elements on multiple sheets. The tech gets a request for update on each product which has a specific "checklist" for that product. Hence the reason for different sheets for different products.

When updating notes for the one job, we have to put the notes in multiple times for all of those rows so they don't get missed.

Does anyone have an idea for a workflow that would allow us to have the notes in one place for all of the rows?

For instance, if you opened any one of those rows, you would see the same notes across them all?

I have even thought about just pasting a link to the project folder from Sharepoint in there and having a simple notes document live on Sharepoint.

I'm racking my brain trying to come up with a work around.

Thanks,

Chris

Answers

• SRLinhardt
    SRLinhardt ✭✭✭✭

Are you able to build a report that can bring in the notes columns from multiple projects and use a filter for the tech assigned?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Chood

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to SRLinhardt's excellent advice/answer.

• You could create a Parent/Child hierarchy and reference the parent notes for the children or similar.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Chood
    Chood ✭✭

My solution was to have a column in the job that has a link to the project folder on Sharepoint. All relevant documents live in that folder. When the tech is on site, they click the link, and fill out the docs. This also saves storage space in Smartsheet.