Column Formula Not Filling All Rows

I have a column formula that isn't filling all rows. I have a row id with auto numbering and it's only going to 4 rows. I need it to fill in the whole sheet so that my index match formulas can look up if another row is created in another sheet. I'd like to get the auto numbering column to continue filling in the rows for the whole sheet or for a way to pull the row id from the other sheet in (not sure if there's a column formula out there that i can use to pull in each row in a column if the cell isn't blank but I haven't found one yet).

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The blank rows in the sheet don't actually exist until there's data in them. You would have to copy and paste a formula down the column in order to create those rows, a column formula by itself won't do it. You could put your formula into Excel or into another sheet and copy 500 rows at a time into your smartsheet, thus creating the rows.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Sarah123
    Sarah123 ✭✭✭✭

That's a good option. The only other one I have is to make an automation to copy all the rows from the other sheet into the new sheet and hide the rows we don't need - I like your option better lol.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!