Not able to paste Hyperlinks from one sheet to another...

I have a column of hyperlinks that I've imported from excel into a Smartsheet. When I try to copy and paste those links into another sheet, it will only paste them as text. My only option then is to go row by row (over 300 rows in this case) and use CTRL+K to turn them into Hyperlinks.

Is there really no way to paste a hyperlink from one sheet to another? If i paste it into the same sheet, it retains the link, but if I paste it into a different sheet, it only pastes as text.

Any ideas?

Answers

• Brent Wilson
    Brent Wilson ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mike D.

Weird I played around and it seems to work

A few things to Try

1. I have had scenarios before where a Ctrl+C is not the same as a Right Click Copy
      1. the same with a Ctrl+V Right Click Paste.
    2. Try those and see if there is a difference
    3. Try creating a formula in a new column where you take the text-only URLs and run it through a formula like ="http://" + URL@row
      1. If this works then you might be able to paste as values the new fields

Reaching for straws but hope it works

Brent C. Wilson, P.Eng, PMP, Prince2

Facilityy Professional Services Inc.

http://www.facilityy.com

• Mike D.
    Mike D.
    edited 08/22/22

So far here's the only way I've been able to get it to work (and I've tried A LOT of stuff):

1. Copy the list of links into an email in Outlook (they automatically paste as hyperlinks)
    2. Copy and paste the list of links from the email into an Excel sheet
    3. Import the excel sheet into a new Smartsheet (in this case they show up in the new Smartsheet as links). YOu can call that sheet whatever you want, e.g., "Links"
    4. Select the cells in the sheet where you want the links to appear and select the Cell Linking button in the menu ribbon.
    5. Select your new sheet "Links" and the hyperlinks will be inserted into your sheet.

At this point you can delete the "Links" sheet you created to import the excel sheet. You get a red arrow indicating that the source is missing but the hyperlinks will remain. You can now simply select the cells and hit backspace and smartsheet will ask if you want to remove the link. Select yes and the error arrow will go away but the links will remain.

Needless to say, this is all very cumbersome. It seems absurd to me that pasting a hyperlink or converting text to hyperlink, en masse, isn't a basic feature.