Formula works unless there is no date and then it returns the dreaded #Invalid data type.

Options

=IF(Helper@row = "1", "January", IF(Helper@row = "2", "February", IF(Helper@row = "3", "March", IF(Helper@row = "4", "April", IF(Helper@row = "5", "May", IF(Helper@row = "6", "June", IF(Helper@row = "7", "July", IF(Helper@row = "8", "August", IF(Helper@row = "9", "September", IF(Helper@row = "10", "October", IF(Helper@row = "11", "November", IF(Helper@row = "12", "December", IF(ISBLANK(Helper@row = "No Month", "Empty"))))))))))))))

Any ideas?

Tags:

Best Answer

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey sorry I re-read your formula - it was late last night and I worded the above poorly. Your syntax isn't incorrect however please see if directly correcting the MONTH function fixes the problem. That is what I meant with the above.

Another option in your Helper column:

=IF(ISDATE([Start Date]@row), MONTH([Start Date]@row, "No Month")

The IF(ISDATE([Start Date]@row) could also be added to the beginning of your nested IFs - but shouldn't be necessary if the Month column is corrected.

Kelly

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey @Melitta

Do you have an IFERROR around your Month formula (the one in your Helper column) that is providing the "No Month" response? I am assuming your Invalid data type is coming from that Helper column? Is it possible to share a screenshot?

Kelly

• Melitta
    Melitta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Kelly Moore

=IFERROR(Helper@row, "No Month"),MONTH([Start Date]@row)

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey

The syntax wasn't quite right in your IFERROR. Try this instead

=IFERROR(MONTH(Start Date]@row),"No Month")

Does that work for you?

Kelly

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey sorry I re-read your formula - it was late last night and I worded the above poorly. Your syntax isn't incorrect however please see if directly correcting the MONTH function fixes the problem. That is what I meant with the above.

Another option in your Helper column:

=IF(ISDATE([Start Date]@row), MONTH([Start Date]@row, "No Month")

The IF(ISDATE([Start Date]@row) could also be added to the beginning of your nested IFs - but shouldn't be necessary if the Month column is corrected.

Kelly

• Melitta
    Melitta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/19/22
    Options

@Kelly Moore

I understood what you meant. :)

It's all working. Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!