therapy caseload/client data tracking... anyone have success with smartsheet?

Hi all,

I'm an Occupational therapist for kids with autism. After the pandemic rendered our therapy office paper data filing system obsolete(I couldn't access it from home), I determined to make the move to digital client records

Smart sheet seemed like a user friendly option over excel

I'm looking for a basic set up that will work most efficiently. Anyone have experience with tracking data by Client name?

I manage a department of 2 workers and between 60 to 80 different clients with individualized treatment plans and weekly progress tracking needs. I started out with a separate sheet for each client and that seemed too difficult to maintain and monitor.

Currently I have one sheet with 60 to 80 client name rows and about 100 columns for data... with between 30 to 60 children rows for therapy session data for each client name

I'm just getting stated building formulas and automations to extract immortant data to let me know how the department is meeting goals maintaining service frequencies. The sheet is not that big yet... but already feels like it could become too large maybe running into sheet size limitations and other logistical conflicts?

Id love to see some examples of sheet set ups that have worked in this context? any success with automating your systems? producing reports on each client that track progress on goals and treatment plan implementation?

Thanks,

Dell

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Dell55

I hope you're well and safe!

What was the issue with having one sheet for each client?

I'd recommend it if possible because it's secure and more flexible, and you could use Dashboards and Reports to collect and show it the way you'd need it.

Make sense?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Dell55
    Dell55 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Andree,

Yeah that sounds like maybe a way to go... its hard to know till you've got it up and running on a day to day basis for a good while.

The issue that had me discouraged... was basically I found the save template functionality in smartsheet kinda wonky. It never seems to save without having to redo a bunch of stuff. I was trying to include some formulas and automations that send key data points to a primary data sheet that would tell me who was ahead or behind on their goals and annual session count (i guess your saying I could do that with a dashboard/report?).

I was struggling to create a template sheet that would hold all the functions and formatting i need and then replicate the sheet with hi fidelity when onboarding new clients (not to mention the job of inputting all the data for all my current caseload). After trying a few times to save an empty template with all the formulas and settings and having difficulty entering new student data and saving without messing up my template and keeping things reliably error free with each separate student sheet, I decided to try and just put it all in one sheet so it would be easier to maintain the formulas and formatting and also I only need one form link to report on every client session.

This seems to be working well so far but its only got about 100 rows and ill be adding client session data daily and only archiving it after the yearly service plan is complete.

I tried to put just what would be the children rows (for documenting session Data) in a separate sheet but couldn't figure out how to get that data to transfer easily to the primary caseload sheet by student name (I'm still trying to get v look up to work) So instead, I just automated it to copy the row for each new session to my primary caseload sheet and then I can just sort that sheet by name and new rows end up next to the other rows for that client. Then I just manually make them children and use children formulas to extract the important bits for each client.

do you see this format as possibly functional or is a 100ish column / 2000 row super sheet destine for problems?

• Melissa Bosi
    Melissa Bosi ✭✭✭✭

Instead of using a sheet template, have you tried building a template set - multiple sheets, reports, and dashboards with links between them in a single folder? When you save the whole folder that contains them, it maintains all of the links.

• Dell55
    Dell55 ✭✭✭✭

Ill look into that thanks

• Dell55
    Dell55 ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking that template sets are a feature of the control center project management upgrade. Is this functionality available outside of control center?

• Melissa Bosi
    Melissa Bosi ✭✭✭✭

I use it outside of having control center - you just have to rename all of the sheets and other assets accordingly - the links do carry over.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!