Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Is it possible to merge cells?

Options

Comments

• Tamara K
    Tamara K
    edited 02/27/17
    Options

Please add my vote too!

• James Bressi
    edited 03/01/17
    Options

This post started in 2015 and the functionality to merge cells has still not been added?  How many votes do you need to have this prioritized for a release?

Thanks,
    James

• Jampot
    Options

Urgently need merge cell option.  I certainly vote for it as well.  In fact all 12 users in office join the vote!

• calalouf
    Options

I'd like to vote for merge cells as well!

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hello Everyone,

I've got your votes down for merge cell functionality on our enhancement request list for further consideration by our Product team.

• Atom MDL
    Options

Please add my vote.

Thanks!

• Joshua Thomas
    Options

Sign me up for a vote as well!  It would also be AMAZING to have the option of adding line break headers throughout the sheet.

Thanks!

• Kyle Clopton
    edited 03/29/17
    Options

We are approaching 2 years of requests for the ability to merge cells. It is a basic addition that will GREATLY enhance the smartsheet experience and usability. This simple addition has so many applications; I can't believe it wasn't included when it first went live! This needs to be focused on as a top priority! The lack of this feature is very restricting. PLEASE UPDATE SMARTSHEET!!! People would rather merge cells than have a few extra notification reminder options like in the last update.

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hi Kyle,

I'd like to set the record straight here. We prioritize our feedback based mostly on customer demand, coupled with the resources (time and people) it would take to develop the feature. The new notifications functionality we introduced recently is, by far, the most requested feature we've had for Smartsheet through all of our communication channels (including the Community).

To clarify, merge cells is not a simple feature to develop with our current architecture, mainly because a sheet grid in Smartsheet relies on an implicitly defined column type for our resource management and dependencies functionalities to work—features that set Smartsheet apart from other spreadsheet applications.

If you have a moment, please fill out our feature request form so that you can communicate your specific need for merge cell directly to our Product team: https://community.smartsheet.com/announcement/new-way-submit-your-feature-requests

The more demand we have, and the more that people can share their stories with our Product team, the more we can strive to make the feature and make it right.

• RCJ
    Options

I would like to vote to add the merging of rows capability, to include the attachments.  This is our most requested feature in smartsheets. 

• Kitton
    Kitton ✭✭
    Options

FOR ALL THAT IS GOOD IN THIS WORLD....please let me merge cells. Thanks! 

• Kara Lumley
    Options

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your sending your feedback regarding cell merging. 

We are aware of the multiple requests over the years and have been tracking them.

Because of the different column types, cell links, and hyperlinks that a cell in Smartsheet can support, we have not found a solution that is easy to implement for customers while still offering the flexibility of the distinct column types.

If this changes, I'll make sure to update everyone.

Thanks again,

Kara

Smartsheet Product Manager

• Karl_In_Oz
    edited 06/06/17
    Options

Ok so @Kara I get that, it's not going to be simple to implement. What would suffice, for me anyway, is if the text could flow across to the next cell if the next cell is empty like it does in XL rather than being truncated at the edge of the cell. Does that make sense? Would that be simpler to implement?

2017-06-07 10_47_07-MS Office Licence Tracking - Smartsheet.com_.png

• Kara Lumley
    Options

Hi Karl,

I can check on that, in the meantime the Word Wrap may be helpful?

2017-06-07_9-23-04.png

• Jamie Price
    Jamie Price ✭✭
    edited 06/08/17
    Options

Word wrap doesn't help at all.  We are currently evaluating online project management tools so that we can link subsheets/projects to master sheets for board viewing.  And then also create trimmed down versions of master sheets for public posting.  We are in evaluation mode with SmartSheet before we commit $$$.  

Your product is great and seems to do everything we want - BUT - if we cannot apply some basic kind of header manipulation - traditionally achieved by merging cells - then this will probably not be the product for us.  The market is growing and there may be competitors that can.

We simply cannot publish sheets that disallow us the ability to customize its appearance to make it more "pretty".  If we cannot do that then we may as well just use Google Sheets (which DOES allow you to merge cells as well as link to other sheets to create summary reports).

I realize that your product is different to traditional spreadsheets.  I am not comparing or demanding that they be the same.  BUT - for us to publicly display reports we need to make it look more appealing.

If you cannot merge cells have you considered a compromise?  Maybe the ability to insert a header row that is outside of the sheet processing/linking that is one single cell spanning the page into which we can insert text or an image?

There has to be some way to do it.  It doesn't necessarily have to be the "merge" capability.  What I, and others it appears, need is the ability to create sheet wide, probably centrally aligned, titles.

This discussion has been closed.