Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Is it possible to merge cells?

Options

Comments

• Ahmed.Almoailu
    Options

Add my vote please

• juanrapido
    Options

It's pretty ridiculous that not only is this thread 2 yrs old but there are multiple other threads 10+ in the forum where people have requested the feature to merge cells.

The comparisons to Excel are valid -- I work with a large company that will not use Google sheets, and Smartsheets is the tool they have adopted to share spreadsheets amongst coworkers. This is much better than the old evil issue of multiple Excel files with different extensions to their names: v1, v2, v4.5, v4.5_Day-Month-Year, etc etc -- nobody wants that anymore!

So we're not using Smartsheets as a PM tool -- just as a spreadsheet to share data. Sometimes there's not a single formula in there!

So there's lots of very valid formatting reasons to have merged cells for presentation. Can we just finally add this feature?

Thanks and Happy New Year! 

• sponek36816
    Options

Sounds like cell merging is hard....

I vote for the interim solution:  "Insert - Text Box" overlay ...  sizable... (with Object positioning property options, like :"move and size with cells", "don't move or size with cells", etc.).

thanks,

• JIMarsh
    JIMarsh
    edited 02/08/18
    Options

Sponek has an excellent resolution.  Rather than re-engineer the infrastructure,  create another layer.   This will allow smartsheet to maintain the integrity of their existing codebase and provide customers with the ability to enhance their sheets with objects anchored to points (cell intersections) on the underlying sheet.

Start small and give the visual functionality of merged cells to satisfy years of requests.  Then go hog wild and add all kinds of drawing objects to the upper layer.  

• Michelle Vonderau
    Options

This is a fantastic suggestion!

@Shaine Greenwood, is this interim solution possible?

• LanceAlbanese
    Options

I too could benefit greatly from the ability to merge cells.  I would even be happy with a workaround.  All of my research on this says that it's not possible and has lead me here.

Please add my vote for the ability to merge cells.

Thank you.

• Vote to include Merge functionality 

• DaveH68
    Options

Really needed - Please add my vote

• YolandaFay
    edited 05/07/18
    Options

I'm on the cusp of transitioning a few major projects to Smartsheet, however, I need merged cells and this thread is quite disheartening. Smartsheet is a brilliant product but rather disappointing that they can't figure out how to add such a much-requested and much-needed feature. Unless there is some valid reason to believe that they are actually planning to implement this, I may be better off simply becoming an Excel pro and sticking with Dropbox shared files. 

• FilmGeek101
    Options

Add my vote as well!

• MMo
    MMo
    edited 06/05/18
    Options

Merging cells will be Ideal. Wrap is not working for me. I will like the heading to show across the next empty cell(s)

• SharonR
    SharonR ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I also vote to introduce the merge cell function. 

Thanks

• Lisa Doris
    Options

need to be able to merge sells or create a "header" row that spans a few columns

• raylene
    raylene ✭✭
    Options

I vote for this as well! 

• Bradyn
    Options

ability to merge cells... If votes is the only way to get it to happen, then please add mine too.

Seems ridiculous that this can't be done, it helps so much with presentation!

This discussion has been closed.