Using the Same Data Source to Display Different Decimal Places

Is there a way to use the same data source and have the dashboard displace different decimal places? I want to show in the Executive dashboard, the financials in the $Mil and the Workstream level financials in the $000's (hundred thousands). All the source data is on the same sheet.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Trang Nguyen

There currently isn't a way to have two formatting visualizations applied to one column so that different users see different decimals from the same column. I would recommend talking with your departments to decide on one set way to visualize your data.

An alternative would be to have the exact same data replicated in multiple sheets, each with their own preferred formatting applied. You could set up a Copy Row automation to duplicate rows in other sheets, or use cell-linking.

If there's one key data point (eg. the last row) that you want displayed differently, you could add this data into a Sheet Summary field and have custom formatting / decimals on that one field. There are ways to auto-populate this field using a formula so it always grabs the last populated for, for example.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Trang Nguyen

I hope you're well and safe!

Probably yes.

Can you maybe share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Trang Nguyen
    Trang Nguyen ✭✭✭✭

Sure. In this screen shot, I've built a formula to convert our forecast periods in the Millions and in the 100,000. The executives want to see it one way and the program wants to see it another way. Is there a way to use the one column in WHITE and display both decimal conversations on two different dashboards without doing all this mathematics? There are 100's of lines in a P&L and to have to do this is gut retching especially to do the YTD since I can't do a column formula.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Trang Nguyen

There currently isn't a way to have two formatting visualizations applied to one column so that different users see different decimals from the same column. I would recommend talking with your departments to decide on one set way to visualize your data.

An alternative would be to have the exact same data replicated in multiple sheets, each with their own preferred formatting applied. You could set up a Copy Row automation to duplicate rows in other sheets, or use cell-linking.

If there's one key data point (eg. the last row) that you want displayed differently, you could add this data into a Sheet Summary field and have custom formatting / decimals on that one field. There are ways to auto-populate this field using a formula so it always grabs the last populated for, for example.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Trang Nguyen
    Trang Nguyen ✭✭✭✭

I'll try the copy option. The way I understand it, Control Center doesn't allow output through the Sheet Summary so we have to build everything through grids or reports. Thanks for the response and suggestions.