Linked cells in Gantt do not update automatically

Options
Matthijs Schoots
edited 09/02/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Dear Smartsheet Community,

I am using the wonderful Cell link function to allow project managers on my team to update the schedules under their control into my high level platform gantt. I am pulling in their task names, durations and start dates only. I am linking cells only and they have no dependancies attached to them.

The problem is, they do not update automatically on the platform schedule when the source sheets are updated. In order to update the cells I have to re-link them again! The "refresh" function in the drop down menu above also does not have an effect.

How do I get the linked cells to update automatically please?

cheers

Matthijs

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Matthijs Schoots

Are you still experiencing cell-links not updating? It's difficult to know what may be happening without seeing your sheets. However, it sounds like a Report may be better for your scenario:

You can have multiple source sheets feeding into a Report and you can view it in Gantt view. As long as the column names are the same across your source sheets, the content will appear in the same columns in real-time. It's more of a window to the underlying sheets, and there's no need to create new cell-links when new rows are added. See: Build a row report

Let me know if you would like to see some examples of a Report, or if this won't work for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Matthijs Schoots
    Options

Thanks Genevieve, the issue spontaneously resolved. It auto updates now. Have no idea what I did wrong, but its working.