Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

SmartSheet scheduling during non-working days

Options
Wade Harshman
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

With Memorial Day approaching, I noticed that I have project work scheduled on 29 May.  I checked the project settings, and 05/29/17 is listed in "Non-Working Days (holidays, exceptions).

I used the calendar tool to remove and re-add the date, but I still have work scheduled on the 29th.  I assume there's a simple solution to this problem, but I don't know what it is.  

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Comments

• Gwyneth C
    Gwyneth C ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Wade,

If the task starts on the 29th, you'll need to change the start date—Smartsheet assumes that if you're starting a task on a non-working day that you're doing that intentionally.

For more information about how this works, take a look at the following article in our Help Center:

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/516392-defining-working-non-working-holidays-on-a-project-sheet

Cheers!

Gwyneth

• Wade Harshman
    Options

In my example, the dates are automatically calculated based on dependencies.  I assumed that since 5/29/17 was listed as a non-working day, SmartSheet would not start a task on that date.  I can go through all my projects and look for tasks starting on the 29th, but that's inconvenient.  I'd recommend a change to this feature so that tasks which are automatically scheduled will not start on a non-work day.

Thanks.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wade,

If your Holiday is set up to consider 5/29/17 a holiday, the task should not start on 5/29/17 unless it is manually set.

It is working as expected for me.

Craig

• Wade Harshman
    Options

Thanks, Craig, but that's exactly the issue.  SmartSheet should not schedule a task on 5/29/17 because it's listed as a non-working day.  But it did it, anyway.  I've never had a problem with this before, and I'm not sure what's causing the issue now.

The date is past, so the damage is done, but I still think it's weird.  Usually when something this odd happens, there's an obvious explanation or a setting I need to change, but I don't know what else to check.  Not to repeat myself, but I removed the date in question from the non-working day list, saved the SmartSheet, then used the calendar tool to add the date back in to the non-working day list.  SmartSheet still scheduled tasks to start on this date.  If there's another way to tell SmartSheet "Don't schedule work on this day!" ...I don't know what it is.

• HeatherDBS
    Options

Wondering if there was a fix for this? We have a holiday coming up this Monday which is listed as a non-work day in our global calendar. However, tasks commencing prior to that day which extend for 3 days, for example, the third day falls on the Monday holiday and isn't extended by Smartsheet and there is no warning. Even an "overallocation" warning would be useful. What is the point of the non-work day feature if it only works for 1 day duration tasks?

This discussion has been closed.