How do I create a chart using a form with checkboxes?

I have a form with many projects and options selected / unselected using checkboxes, how can I create a chart that display check / unchecked options for the projects?

Answers

• Tomasz Giba
    Tomasz Giba ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @jehup

If you can describe more details about your desired charts and data sources then we probably will be able to help.

My first generic thought is that you create formulas to count checkboxes and then use these numbers for chart creation. So, please provide specific details and we can go from there.

Tomasz Giba

• jehup
    jehup ✭✭

Hi @Tomasz Giba,

I have a list of projects and each project has a dedicated chipset, each project has a checkbox to select the chipset (Yes / No). I would like to create a bar chart that describe what projects are aligned with each chipset, Below is a sample of project Alpha and Beta, for instance Alpha is using chipset MT7653 and Beta MT7663. Thanks.

• Hi @jehup

Smartsheet Charts require numerical data in order to calculate and create graphs. For example, with a Bar Chart, you can have the X axis refer to text (e.g. "Chipset") but the Y axis would need to be numerical, so the bar knows how low/high to go.

This means we could COUNT how many rows have "Alpha" selected or how many have "Beta" selected and show those numbers in a Bar Chart.

Or, we could COUNT how many checkboxes were selected along the row of "MT7653" and display that number in a Bar Chart.

However there isn't a way to visually display the mapping of "MT7653" against "Alpha". Does that make sense?

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• David G
    David G ✭✭

Hi @Genevieve P. ,

I am in a way wanting the same results. I have a sheet with a status column that I am using symbols after reading your response above it appears that I wouldn't be able to chart this column. So how can I chart what tasks have been completed and which ones have not? I tried to use my %column but it gives me bars of all the percentages which is not what I am looking for. I hope this makes sense.

• Hi @David G

Would you be able to explain how you want the chart to appear?

For example, are you looking for a Pie Chart that shows how many rows are in a "Green" status and how many are "Yellow" etc, or some other metric?

It sounds like you could use a Report to Group and then Summarize your rows to automatically create calculations, then use this as the source for your chart. See: Redesigned Reports with Grouping and Summary Functions

Cheers,

Genevieve

• I was just trying to create a dashboard and am running into the same issue. We can create formulas within the sheet to count checkboxes, so I would have thought that the chart could be smart enough to count as well.

• Hi @Rachel AR

Charts in Smartsheet don't create calculations automatically, you'll need to prepare your data as numerical so that it can map it to a graph.

If you need help with the formulas or report, we'd be happy to help! It would be useful to see a screen capture of your source data (blocking out sensitive information).