Generate documents from row data

Hello,

I am following the instructions below to generate a document form row data. Step one brings me to the area pictured below - which appears to match what I should expect. Please explain how to accomplish step 2. The field name column is not visible, and do not see an output document name field at the top of the screen.

1. Right-click a highlighted row and then select Generate Documents… The document builder window will open in the same browser tab. Saved mappings appear on the right. 
  2. Drag your Filename column to the Output Document Name field at the top of the screen. If you leave this field blank, your documents will inherit the name of the PDF template and it will be difficult to tell them apart. Learn how to generate custom filenames for your document builder documents.

Thank you,

Dawn

Best Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Customer Service

Have you constructed a Fillable PDF template file? This has to be done first.

You'll need a column called Filename in your sheet; usually you would use a formula to generate a meaningful filename for your generated document, based on the data in the row. For Instance, if you're generating an invoice document for a customer, you would maybe fill that Filename column with something like:

=CustomerNumber@row + "-" + InvoiceNumber@row

Next, create your document mapping by clicking on "create a document mapping". You'll add your fillable PDF template, and map your sheet columns to fields in the PDF. It's on this screen that you would drag your Filename column to the Output Document Name field at the top of the screen:

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Gary Thornton
    Gary Thornton ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

What Jeff said above, but just to add that there is now an automation for creating a document. Therefore, you no longer have to manually right click on the row and select Generate Document etc. It's super useful and a very elegant way to fully automate the process...

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Customer Service

Have you constructed a Fillable PDF template file? This has to be done first.

You'll need a column called Filename in your sheet; usually you would use a formula to generate a meaningful filename for your generated document, based on the data in the row. For Instance, if you're generating an invoice document for a customer, you would maybe fill that Filename column with something like:

=CustomerNumber@row + "-" + InvoiceNumber@row

Next, create your document mapping by clicking on "create a document mapping". You'll add your fillable PDF template, and map your sheet columns to fields in the PDF. It's on this screen that you would drag your Filename column to the Output Document Name field at the top of the screen:

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Gary Thornton
    Gary Thornton ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

What Jeff said above, but just to add that there is now an automation for creating a document. Therefore, you no longer have to manually right click on the row and select Generate Document etc. It's super useful and a very elegant way to fully automate the process...

• Thank you gentlemen, I will work on creating the Fillable PDF template file, and advise if any further questions.