VLookUp - #INCORRECT ARGUMENT SET

Hello team!

I'm trying to reference all of the columns from one smart sheet (let's call is smartsheet A) to another (smartsheet B). Here is my formula:

=VLOOKUP([Helper Column]@row, {Smartsheet A}, 7, true)

7 is the location of the helper column in both smartsheet A and smartsheet B. All of the columns in both smartsheets are in the same location.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @dhkim18

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you maybe share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I have one sheet that has scores that I would like to use to populate into another sheet. The Joined MYTEAM Week field contains joined data from both a team and week field (i.e. Alabama Week 1(Aug-31)). The Actual Scores Range 1 has both the Joined team and week data plus has actual scores for that week. Actual Team score in column 4 and opponent score in column 5. It's a simple formula but I'm getting Incorrect Argument set message. What am I overlooking?

=VLOOKUP([Joined MYTEAM Week]@row, {Actual Scores Range 1}, 4, false)

• NickStaffordPM
    NickStaffordPM ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @dhkim18

Ensure in the range you are using in that VLOOKUP to look up on another sheet, the column you are is actually the 7th in that range. Sometimes people just highlight the column they want as the range, and in that case a column value of 7 would give you an error

Also be sure your column supports the data type of the answer, if it for example is going to populate a date and the column is sent to number/text, you will get an error.

Let me know if this does not help your issue.

Hello @LennyRicciardi, give me trouble shooting tips above a try and let me know if you are still having issues

If you found this comment useful, please let me know by clicking one of the buttons below: Awesome, Insightful, Upvote, or Accepted Answer. Your feedback will assist others looking for the same information and also help me out.

Thanks!

Nick Stafford

• Adrian Mandile CHESS
    Adrian Mandile CHESS ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @dhkim18, @NickStaffordPM,

This is a similar issue to a question I answered at:
    https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/129187/vlookup

Part of the problem here is using the VLOOPUP function itself instead of an INDEX(MATCH()) combination.

Because VLOOPUP allows for a multi-column range and indicates which column to use in order from left to right, it is vulnerable to changes in the structure/position of columns in the source lookup sheet.

Using a combination of INDEX & MATCH with single-column range references, could make your formula more robust. It is best to use single-column ranges to avoid any likelihood of errors in the external lookup column, and makes the formula clearer to read with regards to the result column.

Try: =INDEX( [result column range], MATCH( [lookup value column]@row, [lookup column range], 0) )

PS: As a guide for naming many external column references, I use 'SheetName_ColumnName' (no spaces).

Adrian Mandile
    CHESS Consulting Australia - Smartsheet Solution Provider Gold Partner
    Collaborative | Holistic | Effective | Systems | Solutions

• @NickStaffordPM, @Adrian Mandile CHESS

Thank you both for your comments. After researching and understanding how the INDEX & MATCH works, I decided to use these functions in my formula. It worked well. Thanks for the help.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!