Too many cells referenced - Need formula revision suggestion?

Options
Cory Strischek
Cory Strischek ✭✭✭✭
edited 09/23/22 in Formulas and Functions

Hi, I hope some of you all had a great Engage. It was my first and very helpful.

As soon as I got back, I started using DataTable to solve for a big problem I've been having with a voluminous sheet, but found that my formulas are still too referential ... according to the warning below.

The TLDR is that I think my formulas would be less intense if I used some kind of INDEX(COLLECT vs. COUNTIFS, but I'm just not sure... Please take a look!

There are no cell links or cross-sheet references in the sheet. The sheet is pulling 4,300 rows from a DataTable. There are 22 columns at the moment. 6 columns have pretty robust formulas as I'm trying to roll-up status quality across different types of related rows I cannot indent, based on a type drop-down value.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a different approach to these formulas.

The idea is that, first, Test Subtask Status turns a text status into a RGYB symbol via nested IF.

=IF(AND(IssueType@row = "Test Subtask", OR(JiraStatus@row = "Pass", JiraStatus@row = "Cancelled")), "Blue", IF(AND(IssueType@row = "Test Subtask", JiraStatus@row = "Fail"), "Red", IF(AND(IssueType@row = "Test Subtask", JiraStatus@row = "ON HOLD"), "Yellow", IF(IssueType@row = "Test Subtask", "Green", "NA"))))

Then, User Story Status evaluates associated Test Subtask Status via COUNTIFS. If a User Story has any related Test Subtasks of Red, Yellow, Green, it inherits that quality.

=IF(AND(IssueType@row = "User Story", COUNTIFS(IssueType:IssueType, "Test Subtask", UserStoryGroup:UserStoryGroup, IssueKey@row, [Test Subtask Status]:[Test Subtask Status], "Red") > 0), "Red", IF(AND(IssueType@row = "User Story", COUNTIFS(IssueType:IssueType, "Test Subtask", UserStoryGroup:UserStoryGroup, IssueKey@row, [Test Subtask Status]:[Test Subtask Status], "Yellow") > 0), "Yellow", IF(AND(IssueType@row = "User Story", COUNTIFS(IssueType:IssueType, "Test Subtask", UserStoryGroup:UserStoryGroup, IssueKey@row, [Test Subtask Status]:[Test Subtask Status], "Green") > 0), "Green", IF(AND(IssueType@row = "User Story", COUNTIFS(IssueType:IssueType, "Test Subtask", UserStoryGroup:UserStoryGroup, IssueKey@row, [Test Subtask Status]:[Test Subtask Status], "Blue") > 0), "Blue", "NA"))))

Stories do something similar via Story Status, where they inherit User Story Status's "worst" color...

=IF(AND(IssueType@row = "Story", COUNTIFS(IssueType:IssueType, "User Story", StoryGroup:StoryGroup, IssueKey@row, [User Story Status]:[User Story Status], "Red") > 0), "Red", IF(AND(IssueType@row = "Story", COUNTIFS(IssueType:IssueType, "User Story", StoryGroup:StoryGroup, IssueKey@row, [User Story Status]:[User Story Status], "Yellow") > 0), "Yellow", IF(AND(IssueType@row = "Story", COUNTIFS(IssueType:IssueType, "User Story", StoryGroup:StoryGroup, IssueKey@row, [User Story Status]:[User Story Status], "Green") > 0), "Green", IF(AND(IssueType@row = "Story", COUNTIFS(IssueType:IssueType, "User Story", StoryGroup:StoryGroup, IssueKey@row, [User Story Status]:[User Story Status], "Blue") > 0), "Blue", "NA"))))

Then, I create one status (Test Status) I can use to collate, group/filter in reports

=IF(IssueType@row = "Test Subtask", [Test Subtask Status]@row, IF(IssueType@row = "User Story", [User Story Status]@row, IF(IssueType@row = "Story", [Story Status]@row, "")))

And Group Status based on the super-parent (Story) also helps me group in reports. Basically, everyone gets their parent or grand-parent Story's test status.

=IF(IssueType@row = "Story", [Test Status]@row, INDEX([Test Status]:[Test Status], MATCH(StoryGroup@row, IssueKey:IssueKey)))

Last I have a pretty simple ordering formula called Hierarchy:

=IF(IssueType@row = "Story", 1, IF(IssueType@row = "User Story", 2, 3))

So ... INDEX(COLLECT VS. COUNTIFS or doesn't matter, too many formulas?

Tags:

Answers

• Cory Strischek
    Cory Strischek ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I should note that I cannot get DataMesh working on this sheet either. I suppose that that's because of the limit being hit, but I should and will check with support too, as directed by the friendly popup. 😀

• Amber Grossman
    Options

Does DataMesh still count as a reference? I have had this issue MANY times but thought I was getting around it with DataMesh and then blowing out the INDEX/MATCH formulas?

• Cory Strischek
    Cory Strischek ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Amber, thanks for the comment. I ended up using DataMesh to get around this issue. My earlier comment was noting that I was trying to use all of those formulas AND DataMesh on top of it when I really needed to break down the sheet more and use DataMesh to stitch multiple "processor" sheets all back together, if that makes sense.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!