How to Setup Dynamic View - Unable to Get it to Work

Options
Sarah123
Sarah123 ✭✭✭✭
edited 09/26/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

I'm trying to setup a dynamic view on projects as some projects are confidential. I have a drop down field setup in the intake form for projects so that we know if the project is "coned". I have tried to follow the steps to hide fields in the intake form sheet if the coned field is yes and the user's name isn't in the coned resources column (that way only those who are involved on the project can see the information) but I'm unable to get it to work.

I've also tried to setup the Dynamic view on the project plan template sheet so that when a project is created only those assigned to the tasks can see the tasks. I'm not sure what I'm missing as I have tried to set everything up in the general, view display, details panel, and even the sharing tabs of the dynamic view application according to the how-to in Smartsheet university.

If there is another way to accomplish locking down projects I'm happy to try that as well.

Tags:

Best Answers

Answers

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Sarah123 In what way are your efforts failing? What are you seeing that indicates you are not getting desired outcomes?

dm

• Sarah123
    Sarah123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I created the restriction by current user depending on who the task was assigned to and when I had someone who isn't on any row in the sheet attempt to access the project plan they were able to see everything. I also tried to restrict the view by the sheet filter and the person was able to still see everything.

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Sarah123 Are these folks shared to the sheet itself? If they are, that undoes the value of DV.

But don't forget to add to the Shared tab whoever (individuals or groups) should be able to use the DynamicView.

• Sarah123
    Sarah123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Dale Murphy I setup Dynamic View access and removed the user from the sheet and they couldn't see any of the projects (I still want them to see the projects that are not coned). I also setup 2 dynamic views - one for coned projects and one for non-coned projects and the person couldn't see the sheet (because it wasn't shared with them). I then shared the sheet and they could see all the projects even though they are in the non-coned group in Dynamic View.

• Sarah123
    Sarah123 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Dale Murphy I think I figured out what I was doing wrong - I was assuming the person would have the filter within the sheet itself when it's actually in the Dynamic View section of Smartsheet.