How do I create an chart to show ongoing activity?

Options
Phil Wightman
Phil Wightman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use the following to surface data to illustrate submissions over time over a set period of time (set start and end date). This uses a metric sheet with the dates in one column and a function adjacent to 'look' for the same dates in my source sheet.

How do I create it to capture ongoing submissions? IE no end date? How do I then make the chart on the dashboard show a period of time. EG only the previous 4 weeks? And how do I set up so the chart 'moves on' so that as time goes by the dashboard shows the previous four weeks.

Answers

• Phil Wightman
    Phil Wightman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Mark Cronk is this something you can help with as I saw a similar looking one you replied to

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Phil Wightman

The way I would do this is to create a Report using your metric sheet as the source for the Report, then have the Chart look at this Report instead of the sheet.

This way you can set a date filter for the Report to only pull in rows from your metric sheet that match the specific dates you want (e.g. if the Date is in the last X number of days). This will automatically bring in the correct rows into the Report as time moves forward and drop off rows that no longer meet the Filter criteria.

See: Build a row report and Create Filter Criteria to Control Data in Report Builder

Let me know if this makes sense and works for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Phil Wightman
    Phil Wightman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/28/22
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P.

Thanks for the reply. As I dont have control center is your idea still possible?

I also did not know you could use a report to drive a widget - but maybe its a control center thing?

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Phil Wightman

This is all done within the core Smartsheet application!

I believe the article title may have misled you - it says create filter criteria to control data, but that is not referring to Control Center. It means controlling data in general within your Smartsheet Report.

And yes! You can use a Report to drive Chart Widgets! 🙂 Charts Widgets will select the entirety of the Report as the source. This means you can will need to use filters in the Report to ensure the correct rows are being pulled through to your Dashboard.

Here's the Article on Using Chart Widgets if that helps.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now