Unable to Display in Dashboard

Hello, Thank you in advance for any help.

We have a project sheet that is managing by state, which our PM/BPs fill in when a project is in flight. I have created a report (for each state) to highlight specific information that is needed to show on the dashboard. On the Dashboard I have created a "bar" widget to show project size based on the specific state.

However, when a state has zero projects occurring or when we close out a state with zero active projects the Dashboard displays "Unable to display"

I am trying to setup the widgets so when we open a state project/s it will display automatically without having to maintain the dashboard monthly/quarterly. I know the widget works because I enter in dummy info in my sheet which then triggers what I need in my dashboard. the problem only occurs when we don't have a project in that state. (I understand that reports will not show value if there is no value to pull)

Is there a way to display "zero" or something cleaner so the UX is cleaner?

Thank you!


  • Michael Culley
    Michael Culley ✭✭✭✭✭

    I feel like if all numbers were 0 it would display the chart with all 0s. Is the data perhaps blank and not 0?

  • Morris R
    Morris R ✭✭✭✭


    Thank you.

    Yes, the report is blank (not zero). The report is pulling from a sheet and summarizing (summary tab) the amount of sites by state. So when I have instances of projects in a state it filters based on size of projects. But when there aren't any projects in a state the report doesn't show anything vs putting a zero.

    I think this is glitch in Smartsheets (i reported it). If i had the ability to add in a zero into the report i would but i cannot edit the report and cannot figure a way to work around it on the sheet.

    Thank you

  • Morris R
    Morris R ✭✭✭✭

    Using one workaround

    My report looks up info by state using certain columns. I am also having it look up "0" in the filter fields in my report. I created a hidden column with "0" in one row).

    So at the very least it will always be looking for "0" regardless.

    Not clean but is working