Alert workflow when item is in a given status for 10 days

Hi there --

I have a use case where I need to send a specific person an alert if a row's Status column has remained in the "Upcoming project" status for 10 days. Likewise, I need to send this same person an alert when a row's Status column has remained in the "v1 to ESG analyst" status for 10 days.

I think I need to use a formula for this, as I couldn't sort out how I'd do this with the existing workflow functionality. But I'm stumped on the formula. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Jackie

Best Answer

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You would need to insert a date type column and then a record a date automation to record the date whenever the status changes. Then you would set up your alert for when that status change date is more than 10 days in the past.

• jmhoward
    jmhoward ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Paul Newcome! I like that the option doesn't require a formula. I lock those columns, but sometimes those with admin rights still overwrite them by mistake.

• jmhoward
    jmhoward ✭✭✭✭✭

As a follow-up, I have 8 options in the Status drop-down menu. However, I only need alerts when two of those statuses remain the same for 10 days. Would I need to create one column to record the date change for status 1 (Upcoming project) and another column to record the date change for status 2 (v1 to ESG analyst)? I don't want alerts sent out for the other 6 statuses.

Also, if I set the alert as below, would it just not send if the status changes before 1 week (it doesn't look like I can set 10 days)? My fear is that the date will be recorded whenever the Upcoming project status is set and that the alert would send, even if the user has changed the status within the week.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would suggest setting up a condition to only run when the Status field is one of those two options.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!