How to summarize the message for an automation with multiple rows

Daniele Gattafoni
edited 04/05/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello, I built an automation that runs on a daily basis based on some parameters. The message sent with the automation duplicates for each row that is included in the email notification.

How can I avoid having multiple messages but only one message at the beginning ?

Tags:

Answers

• Hi @Daniele Gattafoni

It looks like you may have areas in your text that grabs data from the row by using {{placeholders}}. This means that there is a unique message per-row that is generated.

If you remove out the {{placeholders}} and instead have a generic message that can apply to all rows, this should then consolidate the message that is sent with the alert. (See: Customize the content of your alerts and requests)

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Susan Ross
    Susan Ross ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

Is it possible to use a {{placeholder}} to pull data from several rows and not have the customized message duplicate down the email? If I remove the {{placeholder}} I remove the meaning of the email alert.

Please advise,

Susan

• Hi @Susan Ross

The {{placeholder}} data is pulling from individual cells per-row that's triggered. This means that even if the cells have the same content, they're seen as unique values and require a duplicate Message to be sent per-row.

You can either have a generic message for all rows, or a unique message per-row (that then generates multiple messages if multiple rows are in one email).

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Susan Ross
    Susan Ross ✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Genevieve. I appreciate the confirmation. I had hoped I was wrong. LOL

Have a great day,

Susan

• Hello,

I am having a similar problem to one that’s outlined above but actually, it's the opposite. My emails are being sent as a single instead of individual emails with one row each. We use a sheet to manage all reports that come to a variety of committees. When a person has two reports due to a particular committee, they are condensed into a single email, but we need them to receive 2 (one for each report). Below is an example of the subject line (with placeholders) and the body of the email. The other issue we encounter is if the person is receiving a single email, the subject line defaults to just have the sheet name, so they don't receive the highest level information on the subject line. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Subject: ACTION: {{Committee}} Report Reminder for {{Meeting Date}} Meeting (DUE: Two weeks from today - {{Due Date For Committee}})

This message is system-generated. If you have any questions regarding this request/reminder, please reach out to: {{Committee Support}}

In preparation for your upcoming report to {{Committee}}, please see the report template and the agenda for the {{Meeting Date}} meeting on the {{Committee}} SharePoint site (link provided below).

In an ongoing effort to improve upon Committee engagement we ask that you submit your reports two weeks in advance of the meeting. This will allow for pre-review of your report prior to the meeting. Please keep in mind that your report is due by END OF DAY on {{Due Date For Committee}} . Once the report is received, it will be reviewed and returned to you with any feedback within two days to ensure finalization prior to the reports being submitted for Committee review, which is distributed 1 week before the meeting. 

For additional information on reporting requirements, the report template and helpful hints, please see the {{Committee Reporting Requirements SP Site}} (link below).

Please email {{Committee Email}} if you have issues accessing the SharePoint site and we will verify your permissions.

Meeting Date: {{Meeting Date}}

Due Date: {{Due Date For Committee}}

Report/Topic: {{Report/Topic}}

Topic Type (note if this is a consent item, you will NOT be required to attend the meeting): {{Topic Type}}

Include in the Report: {{Include in the Report}}

Report Contacts (who received this notice): {{Report Contact(s) - Author}}; CC: {{Report Contact(s) - CC}}

PLEASE BE SURE TO SPELL OUT ALL ACRONYMS, REPORTS WILL NOT BE SENT TO THE COMMITTEE WITH ACRONYMS.

• Hi @Keechia Traub

Are you only sending a message, or are you including fields with the message? It sounds like you're experiencing the same thing as in the original question.

Here's a snippet from this Help Article that may explain what you're seeing:

When using the Message only alert type, any simultaneously triggered rows will be combined into a single notification.

You'll want to trigger these two rows more than 10 minutes apart to ensure that they send two separate emails to the same individual.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi @Genevieve P.

The automation is NOT set for message only but includes a link to the sheet and specific fields. I read through the article but still can not discern what is configured incorrectly. The trigger is based on the due date we've set. I'm not sure how to tell the system to send it 10 minutes apart?? I'm including images of the existing setup of the automation.

• Hi @Keechia Traub

Ah thank you for clarifying that your trigger is time-based. In this instance, there isn't a way to break out the rows into separate emails. Time-based automations will group rows together, as you've found.

Here's the Help Article with more information:

• worapoj
    worapoj ✭✭

@Genevieve P. I have similar problem. I'm okay if the notification can send as a table. but I don't want to send the link to the sheet. Any advise?

• Hi @worapoj

If you send an alert as "Message Only" then it won't include the sheet link. See: Select what’s included in an alert or request 

Keep in mind that even if the link is included in the email, only users shared to the sheet will be able to see content.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• worapoj
    worapoj ✭✭

@Genevieve P.

I still need the select field which send out in tabulate format but do not want to send the link to the sheet.

Any option "Message with specific fields" can be available?

• Hi @worapoj

No, there currently isn't an option to send fields but not include the sheet link.

Please feel free to add your vote to this Product Idea: Option to Not Include Sheet Link on Notifications

Cheers,

Genevieve