External User Reports with Edit Access but limited views

I have a master sheet where I have created specific reports for each Vendor. From there, each vendor will update their milestones and in theory should feed back into my master sheet. However, I do not want to give them access to the master sheet, so I can't accomplish this via reports. Nor do I want to publish it because I want them to have write access.

I really don't want to create a bunch of index match formulas and separate sheets for all the vendors because that is just going to slow down the performance and cause a bunch of headaches. I want to optimize the solution.

The Dynamic View feature can accomplish this, HOWEVER, leadership doesn't like the view with how they have to click a particular row for the details pane to open up and then be able to update dates. There's a lot of moving parts and they want that spreadsheet feel where they can copy and paste dates across multiple rows with relative ease. So that is out of the picture.

I've also taken a look at using Data Mesh, but that only replaces the index match formulas, I still need to figure a way to get each vendor having their own spreadsheet view and capability. Thoughts?

This is where I'm currently headed:

1. Once a Vendor is assigned in the master sheet, workflow automation triggers and "copies row" into the appropriate vendor sheet.
  2. Vendors then update their own sheet with dates
  3. Data Mesh triggers that updates the master sheet with the completions from each of the vendor sheets using the unique identifier

Is this the best solution? I really hate having so many different sheets!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Nachito

I hope you're well and safe!

If you have Enterprise or can upgrade, you could maybe use the Premium App, WorkApps.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Nachito
    Nachito ✭✭✭

Hi Andree - yes i have work apps. can you explain how that set up works? Do we create roles for each vendor to only view their appropriate report? Can we still hide the master report without them needing that access to update their report?