Multiple actions from a single approval (in a workflow)

Options

Hiya,

Currently doing very rapid learning with Smartsheet, and have successfully created some workflows as part of an Asset Integration role.

The workflow requests a Stakeholder to Approve/Decline a task (when key project details are met).

Per the snip below, I've been able to Record a date in a required column, but I ALSO want to change the value of the 'Task Status' cell to 'Approved' (a selection available in the drop down list).

I've found that when I select 'Add an action' (to change a cell value) ;

I get this message, which then does what it says, and deletes the existing action ?

Am I missing something really straight fwd ? I've tried doing the change a cell value action 1st and then a date , but same thing happens.

Thanks

Michael

Answers

• Ella
    Ella ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Michael B If I am not mistaken you can't have 2 simultaneous actions with this type of workflow. Just add another automation for change a cell value that will mark it approved based on the date entered.

• Michael_B
    Options

Hi Ella,

Thanks for responding.

As I'm new to Smartsheet, and workflows in particular, can you please provide some mor detail as to how to add the 2nd automation that I am after ?

The key is that the 2nd 'change' is required only when the workflow is approved.

Thanks

Michael

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Michael_B,

Click Automation - Manage Workflows

Next to the Automation you've already created are 3 dots near the Edit button. Click those three dots, and select Duplicate. That will give you 2 automations of the same.

Leave one as "Record a date". Then go in and update the other one to "Change cell value".

Now you have 2 automation pieces handling the 2 updates.

All the best,

-Ray

• Michael_B
    Options

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the answer, and got all chuffed, but then when I read your response, it means that I have 2 separate workflows to do the two actions from one approval, which is not quite what I am after.

It has given me an idea though about how to devise a workflow that just changes the cell value based on a trigger, but doesn't send out any messages or approval requests.

And thinking about it, it's a real opportunity to make life easy by enabling multiple actions from a single approval.

Thanks