Make an Alert Someone workflow a one time event

Hello,

I am wondering if there is away to make an 'Alert Someone' workflow a one-time event?

Here is the scenario:

A project is submitted, a staff member is ready to work it and sets Status to In Progress this is the trigger for the alert someone email to alert the customer who the staff member is working the project. However, our projects and go in and out of In Progress (i.e. from In progress to Backlog, back to In Progress which can happen multiple times) Is there away to have the workflow trigger only at the first time it is set to In Progress?

Hopefully that is clear as mud.

I appreciate any help in advance.

Lara

Answers

• Jona_g28
    Jona_g28 ✭✭✭✭

Can you identify another criteria as well for the workflow to run only when these two are met? Such as if status is in progress AND the "staff owner" is blank, or comments field is blank the workflow would not run without these 2 criteria being satisfied.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Lara Lehnerz

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Jona's excellent advice/answer.

Another option would be to add the Record a Date/Change a cell or similar when it triggers the first time and then add that as a condition to the Workflow.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Lara Lehnerz
    Lara Lehnerz ✭✭✭✭

Thank you Jona and Andree, much appreciated.

Andree, can I tap further into your idea? I do currently have a 'State Change Record a Date', it looks like this.

How would this work to only track a date the first time In Progress is set?