Automation for new row

Options
Gaurav Chauhan
Gaurav Chauhan ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Team,

My current Smartsheet is tied to Data ware house where the data is scheduled to refresh on a daily basis. Based on the refresh, Projects can fall off and new can be added.

Can there be an automation build where any new project such as "E" can be triggered as notification as soon as this is entered as a new entry.

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Gaurav Chauhan

You can set up a workflow that's triggered when a new row is added.

Here's the Help Article with more information: Trigger Blocks: Define When Your Workflow is Executed

Cheers!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Gaurav Chauhan
    Gaurav Chauhan ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Genevieve P. for your response.

The issue is when the Database refreshed the Smartsheet, it considers each row as a new row. So with this automation, i get a reminder that shows all items as newly added.

I hope that explains. It overwrites all rows.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Gaurav Chauhan

Thanks for clarifying! If the way you're updating your sheet is by removing all rows and adding entirely new rows, then you're correct, all rows would trigger this workflow. There isn't a way to compare current data to the historical cell data.

Depending on how you have this configured, what about first copying the sheet to a secondary sheet (e.g. an "Archive" sheet or "yesterday's data")? Then you could use a formula to see if the current Project Name in this sheet has a matching row in the archive sheet. If it doesn't (so it's new today), then you could check a box:

=IF(COUNTIFS({Project Name Archive Sheet}, [Project Name]@row) = 0, 1)

Then you could set up Conditional Formatting or a Filter to quickly surface the rows that have a box checked.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now