Sheet limit

Hi Team,

Hope you are well!

How can we able to "archive" any rows in the sheet? If so, that will reduce your number of cells in the sheet.

Thanks,

Keerthana

Answers

• Paul McGuinness
    Paul McGuinness Overachievers

Hi @Keerthana

You could use the move row automation to move rows off your master sheet to a archive sheet when a criteria is met, i.e. a piece of work is marked as completed or a date is reached, the criteria you use will vary dependent on your data.

However if you have a lot of data going through your sheet that archive could fill up very quickly, other options are to create several archive sheets and have the rows move to a specific archive dependent on type / category. That spreads the load and should allow the archives to operate longer.

You can then set up automatic exporting of each archive to excel to clear out the sheets on a rolling schedule or if you don't require the data in smartsheet once marked complete etc. you can just export the data and have smartsheet erase the rows and skip the archive piece entirely.

There are a few options but they all depend on the amount of data you have and how you are using it.

Hope that helps

Paul

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/07/22

Hi @Keerthana

I hope you're well and safe!

You could have an Archive sheet and a Workflow that Archives (Moves) rows to it automatically.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Paul McGuinness Can you describe the automation you use to "... just export the data and have smartsheet erase the rows ..."? I have not been able to accomplish either automated exports to other formats nor the automated erasure of data.

Thanks,

dm

• Paul McGuinness

Hi @Dale Murphy

Apologies, like many I wish smartsheet were able to erase the rows automatically. I was trying to present an overview of varying options available and got a little bit carried away in my description.

Erasing any data would be a manual action that would need to be performed on a scheduled or as required basis, i.e. dependent on sheet cell volume.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks

Paul

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Paul McGuinness All good!! You are right, many of us are looking for "data removal" as an important capability. I thought you had discovered some magic ;)

(I have some higher volume sheets with three+ levels of "archiving" so there is time to react when the first workflow fails due to a full sheet. )

Cheers,

dm

• Paul H
    Paul H ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Paul McGuinness @Dale Murphy Automated removal of data is possible, if you have access to Data Shuttle. You can schedule an upload of a blank excel to your Archive sheet to wipe it clean.

• Paul McGuinness

Hi @Paul H and @Dale Murphy

Thanks Paul, absolutely I had totally overlooked that and was just focussed on in sheet solutions.

Thanks for the reminder

Paul

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Paul H , @Paul McGuinness I wonder what portion of the SmartSheet account base has access to those more advanced data management tools? I do not, which is the issue here. The issue is strictly budget, but fixing that is not easy.

Thanks for the conversation on the subject.

Cheers,

Dale