Help! Question around roadmap, resource and resource allocations, budget

Hi - Is it possible to take a proposed timeline (roadmap) and "back into it" to see if it's actually reasonable when considering the number of resources you have on the project, the amount of time they're dedicated to the project (which will differ from person to person) to see if it's possible and/or what it takes to make it possible?

Answers

• Hi @PM_Ninja312

What I would do in this instance is set up the project plan / roadmap in Smartsheet as a gantt chart. Then I'd assign rows to individuals (tentatively) and adjust the gantt settings to show the person assigned to each task (versus the task name).

Once I have the draft set up, there are a number of ways to check through the work.

For example, I could view it through Card View to see how many tasks are assigned to each person (although that doesn't take into account Duration). I could also set up a Grouped Report, summarizing how many tasks are assigned to each person.

Here's a free webinar on Smartsheet's project settings: Project Management Fundamentals

It really depends on what your current project is and how you want to track your people. If you're looking at resourcing specifically, I would recommend looking into Resource Management by Smartsheet as well. This may help you better forecast allocation, in association with other projects currently on-the-go.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now