Grouping issue in a report

Hi all,

I have a report that includes tasks (primary) and assigned resource (person, using contact list) pulling from about 70 sheets - all with identical columns. When I group by the assigned resource, the report it's still splitting a several of the same resources into two different groups. I've double checked there aren't any spelling errors or duplicate contacts for the same person, and all the columns are named the same.

Any ideas what's causing this and how to fix it? Is it because the resource isn't the primary?

thanks for any help!!

Laura

Tags:

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you able to provide screenshots? Maybe black out last names for confidentiality purposes?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Laura25
    Laura25 ✭✭

@Paul Newcome unfortunately almost everything in the report is confidential... I could redact it all, but not sure if that would be useful. Is there anything specific you'd be looking for that might help?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I was wanting to look at the data in the report if possible. What if you just showed the name column and blocked out the last name (leaving only the first name)?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• I'm not sure if there's another thread where this has been resolved but I'm experiencing this exact issue. I have a report pulling in multiple timelines, I'm tracking due dates for a specific group of people.

The filters are set to

• Due Date is IN THE PAST
    • OR
    • Due Date is TODAY
      • AND
      • Owner has any of these 6 values
        • AND
        • Status is not one of 3 values

I have 1 group set to Due Date - Oldest to Newest.

I've attached a screenshot.

Could it be the column settings on the source sheets are not the same?

• Hi @fmorse_apothecary

Yes, this could be due to column settings being different across sheets. Even though your Due Date is titled the same, it looks like the Report is seeing the values differently.

If you add in the Sheet Name column, are all rows from one sheet in one grouping and rows from the other in another grouping? If so, then I would go to the underlying sheets and double click on the Due Date column to see if there are inconsistencies (e.g. one column is restricted to dates only, the other is not).

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• fmorse_apothecary
    fmorse_apothecary ✭✭✭
    edited 12/20/23

@Genevieve P. Thank you for your response!

Please see the attached screenshot:

This report is pulling from multiple timelines.

I checked the "Due Date" column in both the timelines PMR-1593 & PMR-1680.

I've confirmed that both columns have the same settings. They are both date/time columns that are driven by a baseline.

• Hi @fmorse_apothecary

Thank you for clarifying that these are Project sheets with dependencies enabled! This does make a difference. With Dependencies, dates can be seen as either the beginning of the day or the end of the day. Your Report is looking at the hidden time associated with the date, if the task starts at the beginning of the day or end of the day.

To test this, add a helper Text/Number column in your sheet and simply add +"" to the cell reference. This will show you the time associated with the date:

Notice how my red row shows 17:00 for the end of the day, since my predecessor is 4FS, whereas my highlighted yellow row shows 08:00 since the predecessor is 2SS. Since you're looking at the finish date column, or due date, this may have different times associated if you're using FF or a different type of predecessor link.

One way to get around the different times would be to use a helper column to display the date only:

=DATEONLY([Due Date]@row)

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Hello @Genevieve P.

I was able to confirm this morning that that is indeed what's going on between the different timelines and I will be working with my project managers to see if there's a way to consistently choose the same predecessor settings or have our timeline templates updated to have that "=DATEONLY([Due Date]@row)" column built in.

Thank you so much for your help! I hope you have had and continue to have a wonderful holiday and start to the new year!