Formula Help - Counting Multiples as 1

Kelly Pratt
Kelly Pratt ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 11/15/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello - Need some help figuring out the correct formula to use for what I need. I've put a sample data table below. Essentially, let's say I have a sheet of requests that I need to to track by category. 1 category may have several rows but I only need to count 1 for any of that category that have an unchecked box. See data table below for this to make a bit more sense (made up data for confidentiality reasons)

In this sample, This would be the output I was looking for:

Category 1: 2

Category 2: 1

Essentially if looking by project and category, if all the checkboxes are checked, then it is 0. If any are unchecked it is 1.

Hope this makes sense and looking forward to someone's input!

Tags:

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Kelly Pratt

I would use a COUNT(DISTINCT(COLLECT formula here!

It's essentially counting the distinct Project values based on the Category selected and if a box is un-checked for that category & project.

For example, if you're using an in-sheet formula:

=COUNT(DISTINCT(COLLECT(Project:Project, Category:Category, Category@row, [Complete?]:[Complete?], 0)))

If you're using a cross-sheet formula:

=COUNT(DISTINCT(COLLECT({Project Column}, {Category Column}, Category@row, {Complete Column}, 0)))

Let me know if that makes sense and works for you, or if you'd like to see screen capture examples!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Kelly Pratt

I would use a COUNT(DISTINCT(COLLECT formula here!

It's essentially counting the distinct Project values based on the Category selected and if a box is un-checked for that category & project.

For example, if you're using an in-sheet formula:

=COUNT(DISTINCT(COLLECT(Project:Project, Category:Category, Category@row, [Complete?]:[Complete?], 0)))

If you're using a cross-sheet formula:

=COUNT(DISTINCT(COLLECT({Project Column}, {Category Column}, Category@row, {Complete Column}, 0)))

Let me know if that makes sense and works for you, or if you'd like to see screen capture examples!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Kelly Pratt
    Kelly Pratt ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you, @Genevieve P. - never circled up to let you know that this worked!