Multiple actions on status complete workflow

I want to take multiple actions when status of a task goes to Complete.

1. I want to capture the status date
  2. I want to Lock the row from further updates
  3. I want to copy the row to another sheet (capture all tasks that completed)

I created 2 separate workflows to do these actions, and they appear to be working. #2&3 are combined into one workflow, and #1 is by itself. But it also appears that the sequence of the workflows is important. For example, if I lock and copy the row before I capture the status date, the new copied row does NOT have the status date in it. Can all 3 of the above actions be performed on one single workflow? If I use multiple workflows, does the sequence matter?

Best Answers

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Chadd have you tried a single workflow? You should be able to combine the three steps, just think through the logical order. (If you copy the row somewhere else, you shouldn't expect a subsequent update to the original to show up in the copied row!!)

dm

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Chadd

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Dale's excellent advice/answer.

• I'd recommend adding a so-called helper column that gets checked or similar when the row is locked, which would trigger the copy row workflow.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Chadd have you tried a single workflow? You should be able to combine the three steps, just think through the logical order. (If you copy the row somewhere else, you shouldn't expect a subsequent update to the original to show up in the copied row!!)

dm

• Chadd
    Chadd ✭✭

I did try to include all 3 into one workflow, but it didn't seem to allow any logic statements added after the Date capture. But I'll go back and try again, maybe I was doing something wrong. Thanks!

• Chadd
    Chadd ✭✭

I went back to my workflows, and I attempted to add logic (lock row and copy row) AFTER the date capture and the workflow tools do NOT allow any additional logic statements after a Date capture. Is this intentional for some reason?

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Chadd You would have to ask the SmartSheet engineers that question ;)

Looking back, when I have needed to do what I think you are doing, I trigger the lock and/or copy workflow on the contents of that date field you are filling. So when that date field first is filled (i.e., is no longer blank) the copy and lock workflow run.

Make sense?

dm

• Chadd
    Chadd ✭✭

I think I get what you're saying... But I don't want to 'manually' enter the status date, I want to capture the status date with a workflow, then do the Lock and Copy of that row. So, I have to do that with 2 separate workflows, and I have no control over which runs first. There is definitely significant delay in the processing - about 1 full minute for the changes to occur after the trigger event happens. Every time I've ran these workflows, the data is updated just fine (eg all 3 workflows do trigger and process in the main/parent sheet), but when I go look at the other sheet where the COPY row was copied to, the Status Date is Blank (even though the status date was recorded correctly on the parent/main sheet - It just doesn't get copied). So I believe the problem is with the timing/triggering of these 2 workflows. They use the same trigger (when status changes to COMPLETE):

1. record the date
    2. lock and copy the row).
  • Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Chadd

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Dale's excellent advice/answer.

• I'd recommend adding a so-called helper column that gets checked or similar when the row is locked, which would trigger the copy row workflow.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Chadd
    Chadd ✭✭

I think I follow you... The helper column essentially adds a 'delay' in the logic sequence to ensure the Lock has occurred before the Copy is executed. I might need to add a similar helper column to check that the Status Date is recorded, then execute the lock and copy. I'll see if I can make that work.

Thanks!

It would be a nice feature if we could specify a sequence for the workflows to force them to execute in a particular order without a helper column... First workflow must be completed before the next one triggers, etc.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Chadd

Yes, exactly!

Happy to help!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• Chadd
    Chadd ✭✭

That worked! Kind of a work-around, but effective.

Thank you for the suggestion!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Chadd

You're more than welcome!

• Hi Team,

I have noticed that there is a lot of delay in smartsheet workflow triggers these days. Its causing a lot of delay in triggering forms or even checking a box. Its definitely not the internet connection as everything else is super fast. How can we avoid this?