Splitting One Account Into Multiple Accounts

Brad Teck
Brad Teck
edited 11/29/22 in Smartsheet Basics

To better manage our licenses as our multi-division company grows, I have been asked to create a new account for our second division, of which I am a part of. However, I am a user of our one and only current Smartsheets account. How can I go about creating a new account, and then moving my Sheets over to that new account? I am not a system admin of the current account, so I will also need information on how to guide the current account's Admin to assist in the process as needed.

Please, thank you.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Brad Teck

Emails can only be associated with one Plan at a time. Instead of creating an entirely new Smartsheet plan/account, it sounds like the best option here would be to upgrade you to being a System Admin as well (plans can have multiple System Admins). Then you and the other System Admin can work together to grant licenses and such to your different divisions.

In terms of organizing your work, collaborators will only see their shared items, even if you're in the same plan. This means that you could set up a specific Workspace with all of your division's collaborators shared into that one space, and it would be your own "area" of Smartsheet to administrate.

If you were a System Admin, you could even set up different Groups in Smartsheet to easily share entire items to specifically just your division.

Should this not work for you, it would be helpful to understand more about your specific process and why you're looking at a new Account (instead of adding more licenses to the current account).

You may also want to contact the Smartsheet Sales team to talk through different plan options/configurations and what's best for your company as you grow.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Brad Teck

Emails can only be associated with one Plan at a time. Instead of creating an entirely new Smartsheet plan/account, it sounds like the best option here would be to upgrade you to being a System Admin as well (plans can have multiple System Admins). Then you and the other System Admin can work together to grant licenses and such to your different divisions.

In terms of organizing your work, collaborators will only see their shared items, even if you're in the same plan. This means that you could set up a specific Workspace with all of your division's collaborators shared into that one space, and it would be your own "area" of Smartsheet to administrate.

If you were a System Admin, you could even set up different Groups in Smartsheet to easily share entire items to specifically just your division.

Should this not work for you, it would be helpful to understand more about your specific process and why you're looking at a new Account (instead of adding more licenses to the current account).

You may also want to contact the Smartsheet Sales team to talk through different plan options/configurations and what's best for your company as you grow.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now