Gantt -- smartsheets not respecting entered end date

Hi -- I'm trying to work backwards from a deadline in a Gantt chart (starting from the "Project with Hard Deadline and Gantt" template). This means I have my deadlines and estimates of work duration. But whenever I enter a date into the "End Date" column, Smartsheet automatically moves it back by one day. So, if I enter Dec 2, 2022 as an End Date, when I move onto the next cell, Smartsheets automatically adjusts the end date back by one day to Dec 1, 2022. This is without entering anything for the duration column. But the same issue happens when I start with an end date, and then add a duration--smartsheet automatically decrements by end date by a calendar day. Is there a setting I am missing that would stop it from doing this? It's really frustrating to have those constantly change, of course. Thanks everyone!

-B

Answers

• Hi @brianclark

Thank you for your detailed post! I've tested on my own Project sheets and I can replicate exactly what you're describing. I will escalate this Community thread with our internal Support team and they will reach out to you with any further questions to continue to troubleshoot.

In the meantime, if you add the Duration and Start Date first (or just the Start Date first), the End Date will correctly calculate automatically.

Thanks again,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Hi @Genevieve P. , thanks for confirming this is an issue, and for escalating! Will keep an eye out for contact from the support team.

-Brian

• Liz Lomax
    Liz Lomax ✭✭
    edited 12/13/22

Hi Brian,

I contacted Smartsheet report recently over the same issue and was told that it was an "expected behaviour" (but not what the possible logic for it was). Response I received from SS support below. It feels like no matter what your complaint is, the response is always "submit a feature request" 🙄

ETA: I have responded to them to the effect that I don't think this is a "feature request" at all, I think this is a bug that need to be resolved. But not holding my breath.

================

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to us. I understand that when you are entering a date it automatically changes to the previous day. I am glad to assist you with it.

I appreciate the information you provided. I was able to replicate the same behavior as well. This happened because of the dependencies being enabled. If the dependencies are enabled the Duration default value is 1 day, and the End date is calculated depending on the Duration and Start Date. The End Date will return to a day before if you add the End Date value before Starting date or the Duration.

I was able to confirm that what you are experiencing is the expected behavior. There currently isn't a way to maintain the Date you add in the End Date once the Dependencies are enabled if the Start Date is not defined first.

When you have a moment, please submit your feature request to the Product team by signing in to the online Community (the Community uses your Smartsheet account to sign in) and create an Idea post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic

Posting your enhancement in the Community will allow other Smartsheet users to see and vote on your idea! The top-voted posts in this category are reviewed monthly by the Product team and you'll receive an email notification if the status changes for a post you've created or voted on. 

To resolve this either, remove the dependencies or use a different End Date column in your Project Settings.

For more information see these articles:

• Hi @Liz Lomax

My apologies for any confusion; I've confirmed with the Support team that this behaviour is indeed being investigated. I've followed-up with your original ticket to ensure it stays open and associated with Brian's ticket as well, so the team can have a full picture of this happening across multiple accounts.

Thank you both for your patience as we look into this!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now