Linking Google Sheets with a Sheet - not updating

Options

Hi - I have been spending the last few weeks developing my Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Smartsheets. I have been having an issue getting my Google Sheets (G-sheet) to sync with the sheets that were formed when I imported the G-sheet. Specifically, when a line item is updated on G-sheets - it is not updated in the Smartsheet sheet. I have successfully shared a links to sheets and documents (via widgets) and they sync properly. The issue arises when I import a G-sheet to sheet. The reason I did this is that I have multiple dashboards and am trying to share certain lines from the G-Sheet to each dashboard. The only way I found to do this was to import the G-sheet and develop a new sheet. From there I was able to share specific lines to other sheets/dashboards. The issue is that when I update the original G-sheet the Smartsheet sheet and associated shared lines are not updating. I am assuming this is because I imported it as opposed to linking it - but I can't figure out how to share the individual lines to additional sheets from G-sheets otherwise.

I hope that makes sense 😀

I have multiple employees and we use G-Suite as well as Smartsheets.

Can someone explain to me what I am doing incorrectly and how to resolve it?

Answers

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Dee Dee

I was not aware that you could link a Google Sheet to a SmartSheet in any fashion at all. You can export your Google Sheet and create a new SmartSheet with it using the "Create" option in a workspace and choosing "Import from Google Sheets". However, I don't believe you can set up a SmartSheet so when new rows are added to a Google Sheet or any changes are made to an existing Google Sheet row that it updates it within a SmartSheet.

However, one option that does work is to create a Data Shuttle workflow which can allow you to export your Google Sheet (manually) and attach it to your SmartSheet which then automatically updates your SmartSheet with the data from the Google Sheet.

• Dee Dee
    Dee Dee ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for the feedback.

In regards to linking, it is done via Google Drive where all of my sheets and documents are stored. Add widget --> shortcut --> attachment Google Drive. This method has worked great until I needed to share individual lines from a sheet.

I will look into Data Shuttle Workflows and reach back out if I have questions.

Thanks again!