Move Row: Will not move if condition has a dropdown list

jc carley
jc carley
edited 12/15/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I am trying to automate copying a row from master sheet to child sheet.

The trigger is when a row is changed to "New" it should copy to the child sheet. This is one of 4 choices in the column. It is a column with dropdowns.

When creating the automation, I am not able to choose "new" as the thing it changes to in order to kick off the automation. Columns that are just text function correctly, but if it is a dropdown list, it is not working.

Any thoughts?

Answers

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/15/22

Would it be possible to show a screen shot to explain where/how you are selecting the option.

I have many automations running from dropdown lists, so I believe you should be able to do it.

Very simple screenshot here...

Status is a dropdown list with 3 values in the sheet.

This is the trigger area of a workflow (In this screen shot Status is a Single Select dropdown)

I would be able to click New here then when the row is changed to New the action would perform.

HOWEVER!

If the Status was a Multi-Select dropdown then the trigger changes and doesn't allow the value to be selected - so you'd have to put the value in a condition box instead - see below: (In this screen shot Status is a Multi-Select dropdown)

Does this help at all?

Kind regards

Debbie

• Yes! That helps explain it. My dropdown does have multi select.

I did the condition "has any of" and checked the one I needed. I left the "otherwise" alone. Then had the action as "move to" and selected the new sheet.

I am able to make it work if I click on the automation and say "run workflow now on whole sheet" however, I need it to work as I add new items. I can't do the above every time as it duplicates things or I have to remember which rows to run. Not sure why it will not run when triggered.

I save sheet, refresh master sheet and refresh target sheet. No dice, even when I look at bottom of sheet.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

• So oddly enough, it worked correctly once (test3). When I tried to replicate it (test 4 and test5), it did not copy to new sheet.

Any thoughts?

Here are screen shots:

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the screen shot.

Are you certain that Purpose is changing to the value after the rule was set and saved.

To test again I would delete the value in purpose, in rows Test 4 and Test 5

Save the sheet.

Then put the purpose back into rows Test 4 and Test 5 as "Study Procedure"

then

Save the sheet.

Wait.

The workflows can take a few minutes to fire. Ensure you are not working in tabs on your browser as this could give some refresh issues.

Open the destination sheet a couple of minutes later and see if the rows have appeared.

If not, I am happy to zoom with you and watch the testing and I might spot something else whilst observing.

Good luck!

• Thank you. I will give that a try again. I have saved then refreshed master sheet, then added in test 4. Then saved and refreshed again. Then I open a new tab with target sheet and refresh that sheet. To no avail. But when I did the above with test 3, it worked.

A zoom may be helpful.

• But we would need to work on test sheets as the real ones have private info within them. I can create test sheets.

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/15/22

email me on debbie.sawyer@smarterbusinessprocesses.com and I'll send you a zoom invite.

Working on test sheets is not a problem for me.