Data cannot be charted, unable to read source data.

Options

I am using a template from Smartsheet (Project Tracking and Rollup).

When I attempt to link the sheet to my chart widget, I get the "unable to display chart" notice. The chart should show percentage complete, but it doesn't. I will add photos of what it should look like, the notice, and the sheet that the chart is pulling data from.

Any idea why this is happening? I have other dashboards that work fine from the same template.

Answers

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @B. Prpic,

You can not chart date columns.

The chart widget supports charting only for the following column types:

• Text/Number: Values must be numbers only
    • Dropdown List:  Numbers only, excluding text strings that look like numbers
    • Auto-Number/System-generated column: Numbers with no Prefix or Suffix (no text)
    • Symbols:  Numbers only (symbols can't be charted)

Reference: https://help.smartsheet.com/learning-track/smartsheet-advanced/charts-dashboards

BRgds,

-Ray

• B. Prpic
    Options

Hi @Ray Lindstrom,

I am trying to chart the percentage column, the template sets this up. It works in another dashboard that I am using. Not sure why this one isn't working.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

B.

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @B. Prpic,

What other column of data are you pulling in? There must be a category you're pulling those values for.

Percentage column would be one axis. What is the other axis to show the percentage values for?

Can you take a screenshot of the selection you're making when setting up the widget (when you click the Add Data button)?

• B. Prpic
    Options

Hi @Ray Lindstrom,

So I found that I needed to expand my rows and highlight the column I needed to to pull data from. Normally the template does this automatically. It now pulls the data I need, but I cannot use a Pie or Donut chart.

I will continue to play with it, just very odd that the template always works, but this one did not. I could start over as I'm still only in the beginning of the project.

Thank you for your help!

-B.

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@B. Prpic,

By selecting the data, I meant like this:

There are 2 column worth of data. One is the x axis, and one is the y axis. Categories and values. I only see one column of data that you're pulling in. In that case you won't be able to use the other chart types because there are no categories.

Best of luck to you!

BRgds,

-Ray