Copy to a different sheet when all complete

Options
Phil Wightman
Phil Wightman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/15/22 in Smartsheet Basics

What automation is best in this scenrio:

I have a lesson learned log on individual projects. I want entries to copy to a central version for review by management.

The copy/move to a different sheet seems to be limited to a change to a single cell whereas I want it to copy when all cells (the complete row) are complete.

Is there a way to automate and send a completed row?

Any ideas?

Tags:

Answers

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Phil Wightman How do you define complete in this situation?

If someone has to tick a box to indicate completeness, then that is easy: just monitor that box in a workflow and copy the row when you see the check (then lock the row so no one messes with it).

If complete is when there is content in all those columns, then add a column and put a formula in it that counts the cells in the row. When there are enough cells with content, the count will reach a threshold - trigger the workflow on that threshold. (that seems risky to me, because a single letter in a cell will change the count.)

Again, define "complete" and a solution will follow.

dm

• Phil Wightman
    Phil Wightman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Tx @Dale Murphy

What formula would I use to countif there is content in each cell?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Phil Wightman

I hope you're well and safe!

Try something like this.

=IF(COUNTIFS(Project@row:[Recommendation (future actions)]@row, <>"") = 5, 1)

If the columns are next to each other, you'd use something like this and count how many columns you have, so when the number of cells that isn't empty equals the number of cells you'd like to check is true, it checks a box in a so-called, helper column.

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.