Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Getting value from Parent column

nic.stransky
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

In the example below, I have a column named "Task Name" which contains "Version 1.0" and a column named "prefix" which contains "1.0"

In the row Task A, I want to pull in the value "1.0". I was hoping to reference it by using =PARENT()

Can someone show me how to do that?

I have had no luck. =PARENT() provides a reference, but I was expecting to be able to do =PARENT([prefix])  which should just look up the hierarchy, find the parent row, and pull in the value for the prefix column from that row.

Version 1.0     1.0

- Task A          (calculated value, should output 1.0)

- Task B          (calculated value, should output 1.0)

Version 2.0    2.0

- Task A          (calculated value, should output 2.0)

- Task B          (calculated value, should output 2.0)

Comments

• Hi,

You can use =PARENT() with no cell reference if you're putting this in the child cells in your "prefix" column, you don't need to reference the column name.

If you're wanting the parent cell of another child cell to be returned, you'll need to reference that child cell: =PARENT([Task Name]1) <- this will return the text "Version 1.0"

You need a specific child cell reference or no reference at all. Parent function help center article: https://help.smartsheet.com/function/parent

This discussion has been closed.