Testing Alert Someone Automation with Attachments

Options
Mike TV
Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just created an automation to notify someone when a new row is added. All rows on the sheet have attached sales invoices. After creating the new Automation I tested it out on the first row of the sheet, which has an attachment, and had it send the notification test to myself instead of the normal recipient.

I received the notification email and it had all of the custom message I created for it. However, there is no attachment.

Has anyone else tried testing out an 'Alert Someone' Automation which has an attachment? Did it work for you to receive the attachment? Does anyone know if attachments are disabled for testing Automations?

@Genevieve P.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Mike TV

I hope you're well and safe!

To include the attachment, the Alert has to be triggered by the attachment, or if you use the Update Request instead, it's always included if you include the attachment field.

Make sense? Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend & Happy New Year!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Andrée Starå

This won't work then will it? The row is going to be added to the sheet and it will already have the attachment when it is added.

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nah. It didn't work in my test.

I don't want to create an Update Request because it will forever confuse the recipient about why they're being asked to update something when there's nothing to update. They just want a notification when a sales invoice is paid and it arrives on the archive sheet and the attached sales invoice would be helpful. Guess there isn't a way to achieve that right now.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hey @Mike TV

@Andrée Starå is correct - attachments for the row are only included if they are attached at the time of the trigger (either as the trigger itself, or at the same time as another change, such as a row being created by a form with an attachment).

Here's the section in the Help documentation that goes through this: Selecting what’s included in an alert or request 

You are also correct: attachments and comments that existed prior to the trigger event are not included.

Cheers,

Genevieve