User not account not showing up

Megan_Perry_Thibault
edited 01/06/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi!

I've got a weird issue. One of the people in the office mentioned they had an account on Smartsheet and just needed to be added to a new sheet being made. When I looked for her however in the user section I could not find her.

I went ahead and made her new account assuming she might have been thinking of a different application, got her new account the correct permissions, etc. She reached out later asking why the new account had been made when she had one already. I told her I couldn't find it and we jumped on a screen share so I could see what she was talking about. Lo and behold she does have an account that lets her log in and touch some other sheets. It used an older e-mail so I searched that and still it finds nothing.

I checked the other sheets and it shows that she has access with the old account but I cannot access the old account or add it to the new sheet as SS doesn't recognize it as an account for some reason.

The only discernable difference between the two is one shows as proper account on the sheets and other as just the e-mail (see below).

If someone could help me figure out what's going on, I'd really appreciate it.

Best Answer

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Megan_Perry_Thibault

What you have run into is a situation where a user has a free account that is not technically in your Smartsheet organization, and therefore you cannot see it or administer it; you can only see it on Sheet Access reports and in the Share list on sheets she can access with it. You can see the new account because you created it as a system admin, and therefore it exists in your org.

My org used to be this way. In User Management, I used to only be able to see licensed users, formerly licensed users, and users I had specifically added myself through User Management.

When I implemented User Auto-Provisioning in Smartsheet for our domain, any users with our domain who create accounts are automatically added to our unlicensed user list. Users in our domain with existing accounts are provisioned into our org upon their next login. Now I can download login history for all users in our domain, licensed or not, no matter if they created their account or I did. I can update their profiles, add roles, etc. I also control what happens when a free user in our domain clicks the upgrade button: they get taken to my own Smartsheet license request form, which explains the criteria for being given a license, and which when submitted creates a ticket for me to address.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Megan_Perry_Thibault

What you have run into is a situation where a user has a free account that is not technically in your Smartsheet organization, and therefore you cannot see it or administer it; you can only see it on Sheet Access reports and in the Share list on sheets she can access with it. You can see the new account because you created it as a system admin, and therefore it exists in your org.

My org used to be this way. In User Management, I used to only be able to see licensed users, formerly licensed users, and users I had specifically added myself through User Management.

When I implemented User Auto-Provisioning in Smartsheet for our domain, any users with our domain who create accounts are automatically added to our unlicensed user list. Users in our domain with existing accounts are provisioned into our org upon their next login. Now I can download login history for all users in our domain, licensed or not, no matter if they created their account or I did. I can update their profiles, add roles, etc. I also control what happens when a free user in our domain clicks the upgrade button: they get taken to my own Smartsheet license request form, which explains the criteria for being given a license, and which when submitted creates a ticket for me to address.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Ahhh, thank you Jeff! I can now prevent the issue from occurring again, yay!