Sharing in Sheets

Options

My team currently has a business license. I have 3 different sheets that I need to share with 6 people who do not have licenses and will only be considered editors. If I share the sheets with the 6 users, will they each need to keep up with the original email link from smartsheet in order to continue to access the sheets? If I copy the links myself it asks them to create an account in smartsheet, then signs them up for a free trial. However, I do not want them to have a free trial. Just continue to be editors only on these 3 sheets.

Does anyone have ideas or suggestions on the best way to manage these?

Best Answer

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/09/23 Answer ✓
    Options

When you share with someone who doesn't have a license, they're prompted to setup a password and then select a group/team. I instruct people to select "not now" at the group/team prompt. When creating a password from a shared file email, they do not need to setup a free account.

If someone does setup a free account, the free features go away after 30 days but the account does not. After the 30 days, they are still free collaborator users who can edit whatever is shared to them with editor permissions.

When a link is given to someone, rather than by sharing a file, then they only get the option of signing up for a free account which does not hurt anything. It may confuse them as they near the end of the free features part of the account because they might think their account will go away. It will not go away.

Whether someone sets up a free account, or simply follows the link from the shared file email, they will not have to keep any bookmarks. They can at any time log into Smartsheet, and use the file browser found on the left-hand side of the page. If you shared a workspace with them, they will see that under Workspaces. If you shared only a sheet/report/dashboard, they will see that under the Sheets section.

BRgds,

-Ray

Answers

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/09/23 Answer ✓
    Options

When you share with someone who doesn't have a license, they're prompted to setup a password and then select a group/team. I instruct people to select "not now" at the group/team prompt. When creating a password from a shared file email, they do not need to setup a free account.

If someone does setup a free account, the free features go away after 30 days but the account does not. After the 30 days, they are still free collaborator users who can edit whatever is shared to them with editor permissions.

When a link is given to someone, rather than by sharing a file, then they only get the option of signing up for a free account which does not hurt anything. It may confuse them as they near the end of the free features part of the account because they might think their account will go away. It will not go away.

Whether someone sets up a free account, or simply follows the link from the shared file email, they will not have to keep any bookmarks. They can at any time log into Smartsheet, and use the file browser found on the left-hand side of the page. If you shared a workspace with them, they will see that under Workspaces. If you shared only a sheet/report/dashboard, they will see that under the Sheets section.

BRgds,

-Ray

• TB0944
    TB0944 ✭✭
    Options

Thank you Ray! That makes me feel a lot better about managing this.