How to send notification to people that were included in the form submission

Hello,

I'm having some issues using automation. I set up a sheet that piggy backs off of the form that I created. I wanted to set up automation that states; when a cell is either approved or declined by the process owner that whoever was included on the form (recipient, Site Owner, Quality Manager, Owner) should also get a notification that that document was approved or declined. Since the email will only be implemented in those cells after the form is filled out. I was unable to see any names from the drop-down button,. I also stated that if declined then it would record a date. Thanks!

Best Answer

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Nkeiruka. Aguocha

To be able to use an email address from a cell in an alert automation, the column containing the email addresses needs to be a Contact List type column.

This can be troublesome when working with forms, because on forms, Contact List columns show up as drop-down lists. Maybe you don't want form submitters to see a whole list of users, maybe you just want them entering a valid email address. In that case, continue collecting email addresses in a regular Text/Number column (let's call it "Owner Email".) Add a Contact List type column to your sheet, and use a formula to place the email value in the Contact List column: =[Owner Email]@row Then set your automation to send the alert to the user in the Contact List column.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You would need to use individual columns to record everyone's email address. Then you would change the recipient to be "Send To Contacts In A Cell" and then select each of the contact columns.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Nkeiruka. Aguocha

To be able to use an email address from a cell in an alert automation, the column containing the email addresses needs to be a Contact List type column.

This can be troublesome when working with forms, because on forms, Contact List columns show up as drop-down lists. Maybe you don't want form submitters to see a whole list of users, maybe you just want them entering a valid email address. In that case, continue collecting email addresses in a regular Text/Number column (let's call it "Owner Email".) Add a Contact List type column to your sheet, and use a formula to place the email value in the Contact List column: =[Owner Email]@row Then set your automation to send the alert to the user in the Contact List column.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• @Jeff Reisman Thanks so much for your help☺️