Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

% complete is not rolling up from child to parent.

Options
Jim Berland
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I was sent a Smartsheet project and am not sure how it was constructed.  The % complete column for the child tasks have the amounts entered.  The parent task does not report the calculated rollup from the children.

I attempted to fix it by creating a new % completed column and entering the values by hand.  When I entered the value for the first child as 100%, it rolled to the parent as 100%.  Being that this was the only value entered this was correct.  

Then I entered the second child value.  The parent reset to 0%.  Adding more children did not changed the fact that the value remained at zero (0%).

Comments

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Jim,

Take a look at this discussion. I believe it has the answer your looking for.

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/complete

Have a great day, Peace!

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Dear Jim,

In project sheets, if dependencies are enabled, AND if %Complete automation is on, the parent rows in the % complete column  will calculate a weighted percentage based on both the Duration and % Complete entered on each child row. 

Did you update the project settings when you created a new %complete column? Or did you just create a simple Text/Number column with formulas in the parent row(s)?

I can't really figure out the reason of this behavior...

I would suggest to read these articles in Smartsheet Help: 

http://help.smartsheet.com/articles/765753-parent-rollup-functionality

http://help.smartsheet.com/articles/765737-project-sheet-columns-start-date-end-date-duration-complete-and-predecessors#Complete

I hope you'll find the answer...

Atus

• Jim Berland
    Options

Found the artciles interesting and useful in general inunderstanding the structure of rollup functions.  It did not provide a complete answer, because some of the properties, such as identification of previous values as "d" rather than "h", made the resulting calculations into nonsense.  I think the sheet I was given is just too fraught with unknowns as to format issues to continue to work with.  It will be easier to use this in its current state and update manually.

Thanks for the help, it was instructive.

• Bill Cohn
    Bill Cohn ✭✭
    edited 08/28/19
    Options

If you want the % Complete and Start/End Dates to auto populate and calc on the parent rows, you must go enable Dependencies in Project Settings/Dependency Settings.  Begin by right clicking any column heading to open Dependency Settings. Click the checkbox to enable dependencies.  If you don't want to view or use the auto created dependency columns, I recommend moving them to the far right end of the sheet and/or hiding them.

The Dependencies enabled setting can be selected at any time to enable the parent rollup.

This discussion has been closed.