Sorting a sheet when opened

Options
Steve Moss
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Wondering if there is a way to sort rows of a sheet on open.

Otherwise you have to set this up manually each time. If this is a smart sheet you would think it would be able to do this.

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, it's not possible. Great idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

A possible workaround could be to have a report that's sorted with the same criteria.

Would that work?

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mike L.
    Mike L. ✭✭✭
    Options

As a work around would you be able to create a report that shows all of the data in your source sheet?  The report can be sorted and will always open with your pre-defined sort order. You can still edit data in the report (view). However, if you want to insert new rows & columns or forumlas you need to edit the sheet. 

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with Mike and Andree. Reports will allow you to pull the data from the main sheet and display in a sorted format. Edits made to the report are immediately reflected on the main sheet. You can't, however, edit cells that contain formulas in a report. 

Let us know if you that worked for you and if you got it working! 

• Steve Moss
    Options

Not really going to work as the notification of an item that has arrived or needs updating etc is in the main register and is where it should be. I would have thought this would have been a simple tool that would have been built. To sort on open based on the sheets settings.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!