permanent link to attachment in the latest version

Options
Peter
Peter ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi

is it possible to set a permanent link in a sight to open/downlaod an attachment in a sheet (actual version)?

I want to provide useres a link to open a template out of  a sight. This could work with a URL Link ... so the questin is if it is possible to set such a URL to an attachment in any sheet.

Many Thanks

Peter

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hi Peter,

Currently, the only way to share templates for others to use is to put them in a workspace. You might consider creating a workspace with templates in the name (e.g. Production Sprint Templates) and then link to the workspace from your Sight with the shortcut widget.

(More on the shortcut widget here: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/518558-widget-types-for-smartsheet-sights#shortcut)

• Frances Kerr
    Options

Hi Peter, 

Go to the sheet with the attachment. Click the attachments tab at the bottom of the sheet. For the attachment you want to use, select the mail icon. Copy the download URL. Go in to edit your sight and add a shortcut widget using the download URL. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 1.38.55 PM.png

• Peter
    Peter ✭✭
    Options

Thank you Frances,

this is exactly the way i did. But the problem is that the url expires after 30 days. So the question is how to get a permanent url

• Carol
    Options

I need this too!  I have projects that last one year or more. It's annoying that the links expire so quickly.

• Robin Ganger
    Options

Has there been any resolution to the need for a permanent link or one that lasts longer than 30 days?  

• KevinL
    KevinL ✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/20/19
    Options

I am also very interested in a permanent link option.  We have couple of use cases where we need the permanent attachment link inside our webform.

1) Maintenance ticket request where link within webform references the building blueprint view to identify location of issue

2) Vehicle accident reporting form that references link of a street view picture where users can draw their accident and submit as an attachment to their webform.  

• chayward73126
    Options

+1 to this. I've tried doing a workaround by linking to Google drive or One Drive files, but both open natively in their own platform rather than via a direct download like a smartsheet attachment. Would love to have a permanent smartsheet link.

• Joseph
    Joseph ✭✭
    edited 04/03/19
    Options

Also vote for this feature. Having to renew many links every 30 days is impractical. Is smartsheet working on correcting this?

• Brandon Freeman
    edited 04/10/19
    Options

This is also a problem for us.  Actually, I've built a solution not knowing about the 30 day expiration, wow...   Also, when uploading new versions of files, the old link will not take you to the new file.  You have to update your support plan with a new link.  These things together have severely limited use cases for this otherwise great tool.  

• Brandon Freeman
    Options

This is also a problem for us.  Actually, I've built a solution not knowing about the 30 day expiration, wow...   Also, when uploading new versions of files, the old link will not take you to the new file.  You have to update your support plan with a new link.  These things together have severely limited the total # of use cases for this otherwise great tool.  

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I just smashed up against this for the first time, and it makes no sense to me. What is the logic for this wonky limitation?

• Austin Fields
    Options

Bumping this post to see if we can get some kind of resolution after 3 years of trying it seems... I don't need to post my example here, because it is exactly what the other users have been trying to accomplish since 2018. Any reply in 2021 from SmartSheets would be greatly appreciated! :)

• Emma Wetten
    Options

Same. Would really like a way to permanently link to files.

• sd_cs
    Options

Any update on this request? Would love to know if there was a permanent way to link files...

• Tim Starkey
    Tim Starkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would also like to see perma links to attachments implemented.