Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Duplicating Column Properties

Options
Dina Miller
Dina Miller ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Is there a way to insert additional columns and copy the properties of an existing column? I would like to create multiple columns utilizing the drop down list feature and I can't find a way to change it from the default of "text/number".

Tags:

Comments

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Dina,

When you're inserting the new column, it asks you what type of column you want it to be. That's where you select the drop down list type. You can also right click on an existing column and select "edit column properties", you can change the type there too. The only column you cannot change to a drop down is the contact list. That must remain a contact list. Then once the column is a drop down, you can copy and paste the list from one column to the other by using the "edit column properties" by right clicking at the top of the column. Hope this helps

Peace

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

To elaborate on what Heidi said --

there is no way to duplicate a column with a single menu or mouse click,.

The dropdown list contents must be copied and pasted.

Or retyped.

Craig

• Dina Miller
    Dina Miller ✭✭✭
    edited 12/29/16
    Options

Thank you both for your comments. I was afraid that was the only way to create additional duplicate columns.

• Christopher Wright
    Options

This would be a good feature for future updates: have the "insert column" feature automatically duplicate the properties (including any dropdown details) of the currently highlighted column.

This would save massive amounts of time for sheets with 50+ columns that all need the same dropdowns.

Thanks!

• WilliamSamster
    edited 06/18/19
    Options

I second that; it puts a damper on these no-code solutions when I have to manually alter properties for 100 columns!

I am trying to generate a form from a sheet where the user has the option to check/select the entries (which are the column names of my sheet). 

Would greatly appreciate this ability! 

This discussion has been closed.